• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Speaking of Electrical Licenses...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Odd timing on the other post discussing electrical licenses, but here's the back story on why I was recently speaking to the TDLR:

In October of 2013, I (along with a friend who has been a Master Sign Electrician for over 25 years) installed a set of 10" LED-illuminated letters. When I quoted and invoiced the installation, I used his TECL, which is 100% legal. On my website, I have multiple galleries sorted by sign types (dimensional letters, wall signs, etc.). One of those galleries was for 'Illuminated Signs' with ONE photo of the above letters. That's it. One single picture.

At the time, I had my Apprentice License for electrical signs. Since that time, I decided it wasn't worth my time to pursue, so the above set of letters is the last illuminated sign I did.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago and I receive a phone call from Rudy at TDLR. He tells me that a complaint has been filed stating that I'm advertising the installation of electrical signs and I didn't have a TECL listed on my site. I was kind of shocked because I have ZERO interest in installing electrical signs. I asked him where I'm supposedly advertising and he referred to the one single photo on my website. I will say at this point that he was correct and the individual who reported me was withing their rights to do so. So I'm not bashing him or the person that reported me. Anyway, no problem, no big deal...I removed the photo and gallery and told Rudy I had zero interest in installing illuminated signs. I received a few more phone calls/emails over the next couple of weeks asking me to explain what was involved in my other 'advertisements' (galleries) of Interior Wall Signs, Exterior Wall Signs, etc. I told him those were galleries and if he clicked on them and opened them, they were pretty self explanatory and again, I wasn't installing or advertising the installation of any other electrical signs.

The picture that was on my website is below. Also below is the letter I received yesterday...

Fun stuff.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Screen Shot 08-16-17 at 03.17 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 08-16-17 at 03.17 PM.PNG
    373.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Screen Shot 08-16-17 at 03.17 PM 001.PNG
    Screen Shot 08-16-17 at 03.17 PM 001.PNG
    213.2 KB · Views: 142

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
That's crap, that a photo is considered an offer of service. What if you built the letter but someone else installed the electrical?
In Texas, you can't design an electrical sign without a license... I have to get an architects or sign shop to put it on their title block...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well, turns out I did have a photo of an LED message center on my page, but it was because I refaced the Dibond panel above it... Wouldn't want anyone to get confused and see the 8' folding ladder in front and think we installed the entire monument.

visual800

I want to know WHO would have even went and turned you in?. Wow, TX dont play lol. I thought they had gotten ridiculous here. This is totally uncalled for. Next thing you know they will be saying you have to be certified to run a printer, nothing but money man, thats all it about, share the money

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I know who reported me, I know his name and that he's the VP of a large local sign company. It doesn't really bother me - he's within his rights to do so. It was more ironic than anything because 1) I forgot the photo was even on my site and 2) I have zero interest in installing electrical signs.

Like I told Rudy at TDLR - I can show him a couple/few dozen emails from this year alone where I've turned down and referred electrical installations to other local sign companies.

No biggie. Mainly just posted to show that Texas takes licensing pretty seriously. I'm ok with that - it helps keep the hacks from undercutting those who have put in the time and effort to do it the correct and safe way.

Johnny Best

Are you taking money away from this sign company that this VP works who turned you in.
To nitpick at you where you could be fined $5,000 a day is pretty harsh, and all you had was a photo on your website that the VP took the time to investigate. Sounds like he is trying to shut you down. Now you are on Rudy's radar and a letter sent out. Hope you don't hear anything more on the subject Moze.

bannertime

Wow, TX dont play lol. I thought they had gotten ridiculous here. This is totally uncalled for. Next thing you know they will be saying you have to be certified to run a printer, nothing but money man, thats all it about, share the money

We really don't, my city has ordinance to fine each person involved in an ordinance violation up to $2,000 each. I always explain to my customers that a sign is the stupidest thing to cut corners on. It's out in the public. If you're willing to do that in the public's eye what are you willing to cut corners on in the store. Just opens you up to all sorts of inquiries by the city or state.

I bet that the TDLR is just doing it's job and handling it by the book as to keep it's integrity intact. Other Texas agencies have basically said "we dont' care" when things have been reported.

Johnny Best

That was my point, why does he even waste his time on a one man show. He sounds like a person trying just to cause misery.
The same guy who slows down on the interstate to rubberneck an accident on the opposite side while causing major traffic backup.