• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SpeedPress? Who has 1?

Sticker Dude

Hey everyone I have been looking at the speed press for years now and actually got to try it out at a convention. Pretty neat I am thinking about getting 1 I just want to hear some feed back on it if anyone has tried it or has 1? We are in the middle of doing our floors (2 part epoxy) and going to be building new tables and re-moving alot of stuf in the shop area wanted to add a new piece of equipment (Speed press)
:thankyou::signs101:

weaselboogie

meh.

Have one, don't know where it is. Don't care.

Changing out the film is a big pain in the a$$ and you don't get as nearly the amount of applications per sheet as they say.

mopar691

I have one that I have made out of PVC and a few pieces of hardware. Nowhere near as fancy but for anything around 18 x 24 or smaller pieces works great and is a huge time saver.

weaselboogie

Yes, the frames are nothing, but you can't buy the reusable film unless you are an owner. I'm sure there's some other type of film that would work well for this type of app.

Vinylman

I am closing my sign shop and I have a full roll of material and two speed frames that I would like to sell. If you are interested p.m. me for prices and details. These are both in great shape, and the price will definitely be less than you would pay for the brand-new speed press items.:thankyou:

mopar691

I use clear app tape.

Once get the hang of them can easily do 20 2 color 2 sided 18 x 24 coro signs without replacing.

JERHEMI

I have two! Bought them years ago at a show and they have been two of the most used tools in my shop for building cut vinyl signs in-house horizontally on a work table! Never took them out on an install or anything they would be a pain in the butt to work with vertically on wall or something. I have a smaller one for doing 36" signs and smaller and a larger one for doing 96" signs and smaller. Saves a ton of time making quanties of signs and saves a ton of money on transfer tape you don't need and you won't be filling up the garbage cans with it. Once you get past the learning curve you can bang out signs pretty quick. I use the medium tack reusable film from Speedpress and it works the best in my opinion. The more you use it the dirtier the film gets and it loses its stickyness, however you don't have to replace the film! I spray some glass cleaner with a little bit of amonia in it on the screen and wipe it down with a paper towel like you're cleaning a glass window and let it dry and it's as good as new! You can only repeat this process though so many times before the film is just worn out and stretched out. I probably only change the film a handful of times a year! Maybe twice because it's worn out and maybe once or twice more because a hole got poked in the film or it got sliced with an x-acto knife of something. A roll of the film easily lasts me a few years!

Sticker Dude

wow really only 2 people like it and one built 1
Now Im not sure if I should make one or not buy it at all
Mopar691 any pictures you would like to share I would love to see it
vinylman I will contact you shortly

trik

i have a couple different sizes, and I just use transferrite clear, medium tack and it works fine, it takes some getting used to, but it definitely paid for itself in time within the first few months I had it, but I bought it back in 2003 I think??? I mostly print everything now, but I did just use it the other day to layer some race car numbers. If you do a lot of cut vinyl and layering, I personally think it is a great investment.

cartoad

Have different sized frames and several rolls of the tape, but have not used them in years. We used them for a few projects but the did not live up to our expectations and just quit using them. If interested in them send me a pm and will tell you what I have.

We made one with some square aluminum from lowes and a few brackets..
We used clear transfer tape (low tack)
It was ok for knocking out yard signs and it helped the sign noobs with lining things up, but not much else.
Certainly don't buy a frame.

omgsideburns

I have several. We use them daily. Have for years. They work great. Wipe it with isopropyl when it starts to lose its stick, or gets dusty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainframe

I have had a speedpress for years and use it all the time, there are a couple of tricks to them I have discovered or they would be basically useless to me also, first,

#1, I buy the film from nglantz, I am not sure if they still sell it but I bought a medium tack and basically rarely change it, because I have discovered trick-2

#2-take a sponge with water and clean the film every so often before you use it, just use water although the last time I used a little windex and then water, and rinsed the sponge a bunch of times. Note, let it dry before you use it again.

#3 I don't fuss about the tightness of the film, I just slide a metal yardstick (sometimes I use 2 yardsticks) under the film near my work to keep the film and vinyl from "grabbing" and applying itself in the wrong place while I am positioning. Just position and go to step 3

#4 I don't use the rubber roller they give you, (this roller works great for tape hemming banners though) I use a felt squeegee, position your graphic, then start in the middle and work your way to the ends, I can knock out metal parking lot type signs really fast using a speedpress and I would not want to make even one of these type of signs without it any more.

Take away even 1 of these tricks and I would walk away from the speedpress also.

Although I print 99.9% of my banners nowadays a speedpress work great with cut vinyl on banners.

ps once you get the vinyl pressed onto your substrate, you have to shove your hand under to lift the speedpress away from your work, this takes a little practice until you get the feel for it.

ChicagoGraphics

Way back when they first came out I saw it at a trade show and had to have it, I bought all the sizes used it a few times and tossed em in the garbage, there worthless!!