• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spelling and grammar

Stagecraft

I'll apologize in advance, firstly because I'm Canadian and it's in my D.N.A. to do so, and I because don't mean to come off like a grammar nazi but just about every time I visit this forum I'm struck by the spelling and grammar mistakes made in posts.
Your for you're, to for too and some just plain poor spelling.
I would think that we as a trade should be especially vigilant in our written communications, the written word is afterall our stock in trade.
I'm not referring to simple typos, a missed keystroke here and there or posts made by those whose native tongue may not be english.
Hell, I've probably made a few syntax errors myself in this very post.
We all make mistakes but some of the comments on these boards are downright embarassing considering what we all do for a living.
A well written comment or business letter can go a long way to making you look like the highly skilled professional you hopefully are, instead of a mouth breathing knuckle dragger.
Here's a nice little article on the topic...http://www.bookofjoe.com/2012/08/wh...rammar-test-to-all-prospective-employees.html

HulkSmash

I'll apologize in advance, firstly because I'm Canadian and it's in my D.N.A. to do so, and I because don't mean to come off like a grammar nazi but just about every time I visit this forum I'm struck by the spelling and grammar mistakes made in posts.
I would think that we as a trade should be especially vigilant in our written communications, the written word is afterall our stock in trade.
I'm not referring to simple typos, a missed keystroke here and there or posts made by those whose native tongue may not be english.
We all make mistakes but some of the comments on these boards are downright embarassing considering what we all do for a living.
A well written comment or business letter can go a long way to making you look like the highly skilled professional you hopefully are, instead of a mouth breathing knuckle dragger.
Here's a nice little article on the topic...http://www.bookofjoe.com/2012/08/wh...rammar-test-to-all-prospective-employees.html

Sounds like a good way to spend a Saturday night. Studying grammar.

nooooooooooooooo thanks.

Craig Sjoquist

Please do not read my post for I am the worst at grammar. Took a test once 4th grade level...ouch

Also very poor at spelling ( sure glad these sites have spell check ) other wise I have to look up alot of words up.

I do 95% of my work by hand and do not want to get a printer, even my cutter does not work because it is not reading my PC ...could careless & have not even cut 100 jobs on it in 2 years.

Have been hand lettering 37 years made alot mistakes and still do I am human.

My newest studies are alot more pinstriping, better blending & shading of artwork, working towards airbrush and building a better shop to work in, along with trying to learn how to design with the PC & Coreldraw.

I do not read or write posts because of correct grammar or spelling just my willingness to help or of needed help & just enjoyment of others .

Ya'll lucky in this century nothing like this was around 50 yrs ago much less 30 yrs ago.

Thank you

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

"and I because don't mean to" to me means: Guilty! Go to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. :ROFLMAO:

Suz

Maybe we should all just quit writing for fear we might make a spelling or grammar error. Sorry, I'd rather read what people are saying than worry too much about errors here and there.

WildWestDesigns

Maybe we should all just quit writing for fear we might make a spelling or grammar error. Sorry, I'd rather read what people are saying than worry too much about errors here and there.

Here and there I wouldn't mind so much, but you have to remember I had a nazi of an English/grammar teacher called Grandma. While she was long finished with teaching high school English when I came along, she was for sure apart of the Old School belief that you always practiced proper English, otherwise those bad habits would come out at the worst time.

While I am not that way (hell two out of the three degrees I have are in agriculture, if that says anything) to her extreme and can overlook "issues" here or there. It's the ones that I have to totally decipher that I have an issue with and they do come from sources that have good input, if you can just decipher everything. Not always easy.

Quick, informal communication is one thing, totally butchered communication is another. Sometimes it's difficult enough arriving at the correct conclusion on someone's post on a computer screen that has no emotion, add into the mix of trying to heavily dechiper a post, difficulty level is even higher.

Suz

Talk about pane :Oops: Spelling erro?:omg:
I went to Catholic school, the nuns were nazzi :ROFLMAO: x12 (there was a dozen of them in the penguin outfits and they beat the tar out of some kids). Not me of course, I wasn't too bad at spelling and following orders! But some of those poor kids graduated with missing ears and other damage. :omg:

Scott Reynolds

I don't think its because were illiterate boobs. I think it has a lot to do with texting making too many of us lazy.. At least for me it does.

All of our phones finish and spell our words for us... Its made me less likely to keep a eye on my post grammar and or spelling...

anotherdog

as a dual English and Canadian citizen I have no excuses when my first and second languages are English (I'm working on American as my third).

My experience is that when your priority is communicating a thought or concept, the words go unfiltered to the page (or screen). When I get emails from clients that are complete gibberish I find that I can understand them when I ignore grammar and understand gist. It is my belief that the more artistic or creative you are, the more you try to unlimber yourself from restrictions like grammar and the shorter the posting.

Grammar is for proofreading not posting innit!

HulkSmash

This is dumb. Some of you fail to realize that not everyone has had the opportunity for a full education. To just chastise this issue is just disrespectful. Posts like this cause the issue for some to be afraid to post anything because one might be worried of their "grammatical" errors. Go complain about something else.

/thread

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working

You have my support...

There's such strong animosity here toward "bad design", so I don't see why it shouldn't carry over to the language that supports (and helps communicate) that design.

At the very minimum should be the ability to write a complete sentence.

ESL...I completely understand your challenges, but for those of us who are EFL...we should know better...or at least strive to be better. I see this as a new topic that's "ripe for the picking" in SignCraft.

My grammar teacher was an actor in the community theatre. He had such an awesome way of teaching what could have otherwise been a very tedious and dry subject. Yeah, some of the kids thought he was goofy, but he sure knew what it took to make it stick in a young adult's mind.

JB

HulkSmash

You have my support...

There's such strong animosity here toward "bad design", so I don't see why it shouldn't carry over to the language that supports (and helps communicate) that design.

At the very minimum should be the ability to write a complete sentence.

ESL...I completely understand your challenges, but for those of us who are EFL...we should know better...or at least strive to be better. I see this as a new topic that's "ripe for the picking" in SignCraft.

My grammar teacher was an actor in the community theatre. He had such an awesome way of teaching what could have otherwise been a very tedious and dry subject. Yeah, some of the kids thought he was goofy, but he sure knew what it took to make it stick in a young adult's mind.

JB

Because this is a Sign forum, not a College discussion board. How would you like it if you were unable to finish your education because of some sort of personal issue, and was pretty much called out for it.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Because this is a Sign forum, not a College discussion board. How would you like it if you were unable to finish your education because of some sort of personal issue, and was pretty much called out for it.

If that was the case, then it is what it is...don't let that continue to hold you back, there are still ways you can catch up on what you missed. I was practically two steps away from special ed. courses when I was in school. I went on to finish college and have turned the "chore" of learning into a enjoyable life-long pursuit.

I honestly believe the adult brain is very capable of learning when it is allowed to do so. Too many times, people let past failures dictate the rest of their lives....they feel that since they "couldn't" learn in high school, that they "can not" learn as an adult...and thus they resolve themselves to their own man-made prison.

In case you haven't realized it, the world is changing a lot faster than it used to. You can't affort not to be continually learning. In my day, I sat next to the guy that would compete for my job. Nowadays, given the population explosion and new technology, our children's competetion is practically everywhere.

In a nutshell, I'm not saying that you have to have a PhD. But you'd better darn well be about improving yourself or risk losing a job to somebody who does.

JB

Suz

Royce, very good point!

Due to a horrible crisis/death situation in my family, my siblings and I grew up having to speak English and Spanish. English being our first language, we struggled to learn a new language as quickly as possible to communicate with the person who raised us.

Although frustrating at times, we are all richer for this experience. Neither we nor our caretaker ever learned the "other" language perfectly, we did communicate and even developed our own unique language. If we had had a translator or a teacher to help, we all would have been much better. I still use the 2nd language I learned as a child. It does come in handy and people are very patient with me.

I am grateful for the Spanish speaking woman who raised me. I am so glad she did not let the fear of not knowing English (written or spoken) keep her from coming to help us. She had some guts! I respect that.

I have to think many participants on this forum do not speak English as a 1st language....

HulkSmash

You're obviously missing the boat on what I'm trying to point out.
I'm not denying the fact that one should "never stop learning" But there's no point of raising a thread about it. Is all I'm saying. This is a sensitive subject to some.