Welcome To Signs101.com

Signs101 is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splice In A Roll Of Oracal 751...

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by ChaseO, Apr 20, 2017 at 6:59 PM.

1. ChaseO

ChaseO Member

May 3, 2012
    I've never run across anything like this in all my years of vinyl cutting, but I'm about 10 Yards in on a 24x50 roll of cardinal red that has a cut in it. What exactly am I looking at here? It looks like the vinyl got thin, and in the deepest part, its an actual cut. The cut is about 6" in and 4' long. The piece next to it is the end of my lettering that looks like it survived without getting into the bad spot.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Oracal gaurantees splice-free rolls backed by $500 if you find a splice. They used to run this ad all the time in trade magazines until guess what I found, yup a splice in a roll of 651, called oracal and they provided a shipping tag and a short while later I received a check for $500 from them. The ads abruptly disappeared after that but I do recall seeing it again somewhere recently.

3. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    hmmm kinda like Dominoes delivers in 30 or its free.....yep that didnt last long

4. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I have never seen that splice look either, usually just a strip of transfer tape over a cut. Looks like they shut the machine down while making that roll and then started it back up next morning.
    It would be like finding a golden ticket if they give you $500 for it.

5. ExecuPrintGS

ExecuPrintGS Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Hartland, WI
    call the sales rep from what ever company you bought it from.
    We have gotten plenty of spliced and things like you are showing that wreck X amount of yardage, they just send us more material.

6. ChaseO

ChaseO Member

May 3, 2012
    A free roll or a $500 would be cool, but not really what I'm looking for. How is vinyl made anyway, the way this appears to be a thin spot, its like it didn't bond right there or something.

7. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I think the cast material is first in liquid form and dries spread on transfer paper, I remember seeing a video years ago when it first came out.
    That's why I mention it looked like a processing flaw. Not actually someone cutting and splicing it together.

8. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    It depend which type of vinyl you are talking about. Cast is floated and calendar is run through rollers.

9. kanini

kanini Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Some manufacturers mark the box with the number of splices if there’s any, usually its very tiny text hidden on the label somewhere so easy to miss. Don't know about Oracal but of course this is something that's annoying but occurs now and then. Take it with your supplier and they'll "fix" it for you with material or cash. Not so funny when we once got a similar issue on some bigger graphics for a semitrailer - on reflective, but as Johnny Best said that was transfer tape over a cut, not looking like yours.