• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spooling to printer before output Flexi HP

AndyN

Have been running a Latex 365 for about 6 months. My primary problem is network stability. For the most part, it's ok, but we are way out in the country on an RF based internet service and it drops frequently.

I have the production room well isolated and the machine is on a dedicated wired connection in the building. When we lose internet connection, (frequently) Flexi fails the job somewhere in the middle.

Is there a way to spool an entire job before the printer starts? I'll have one failure in 10 on a 10' banner and I'm tearing my hair out.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The internet shouldn't affect the connection between the computer and the printer. I'm willing to bet either the computer/hard drive is falling asleep and causing the communication to be interrupted during printing or the router is acting up for some reason. Check your sleep settings and if they are all set to never fall asleep, try connecting the computer and printer directly to see if the problem persists. If the problem goes away, I would just get a switch and plug everything into that including the router. That way when one device fails it doesn't cause any issues with the others.

AndyN

Hmm, maybe this runs deeper. I run in an outbuilding, wirelessly connected to the house, which is then connected to the internet. The printer is wired to my computer via the outbuilding hard wired network on a static IP. This is the only printer, (out of 8) that exhibits this problem. Just trying to gain some stability in print send jobs.

Oh, and ex Microsoft employee, I never let my machines sleep. I worked on Power Optimization for a while.

AndyN

No, the computer in the shop does not have a static IP. Just the printers, cutters and press.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Well it only takes a minute, I would change it to static. This issue comes from your network setup so something goes boo-woo when the internet drops. Shouldn't be an issue at all normally even if the internet connection goes out every 5mins.

AndyN

I think I found the culprit, my network storage device. I moved it to the house and hooked it directly to the router. I'll do some testing and see if that takes care of it, if not, static IP is next on the list.

Thanks!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I think I found the culprit, my network storage device. I moved it to the house and hooked it directly to the router. I'll do some testing and see if that takes care of it, if not, static IP is next on the list.

Thanks!

If that's the case, make sure your RIP's work folder is on the local computer rather than the network drive. That way you don't need to rely on the wireless to keep working throughout the print.

stxrmxn

I may be way off here because i know absolutely ZERO about any of this stuff but its always good to have a few left field options just in case :)
Our HP started doing the same when we moved it to a different part of the shop and it was driving me mad.After a few months i realised that it used to be connected to the same laptop as our Roland printer via a splitter and when we moved it the Roland and the HP both got their own dedicated laptops, after the move the HP was connected directly via ethernet cable. This is when it started stopping halfway through jobs. I connected the HP to the laptop via the splitter and never had the issue again, the connection fairies live in the splitter i guess.