• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spot Color on Epson Stylus pro 9600

Classic1935

Hi,

I have one unusual question here. We try to use some spot color (white, clear and metallic) on Epson Stylus pro 9600. Stylus Pro 9600 have 7 channel print head and originally work with cmyk+light's.
Instead of light's tones I want to use spot colors, but have no idea how to control this colors. For example how to tell printer that some spot color on artwork need to be printed with silver channel for example.
I know that this need to be controlled by RiP, but no idea which type of RiP have this function for three additional spot colors + CMYK.
All experiences and ideas are very welcome.

Thank's!

U.

bteifeld

Substratia Consulting,Printing,Ergosoft Reseller
ergosoft posterprint may work. Clogging may be a risk, especially for white.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I would have thought the 9600 was an RGB/contone machine, so you would have no control over individual channels. The internal RIP would do all the separations during print.
Happy to be proven otherwise. I've not seen a "photo" printer with individual channel control from a software RIP in my travels yet.

bteifeld

Substratia Consulting,Printing,Ergosoft Reseller
Just to help a little- printers are not inherently contone- the issue of whether a given RIP can
allow for halftone or contone operation is based on the policies of the printer manufacturer
with regard to what control information they are willing to release to software developers.
After that, it is then up to the RIP software company to decide how they want to implement
a driver. There may some exceptions to this- like the later/recent model HP latex printers.

Classic1935

Thank's for all yours answers.
I agree, that the software or RiP developer crucial here. I will check out by Ergosoft. At this stage is separate controlling of single color the most important thing at this project. Clogging and other with ink connected issues come at second stage, but here we have some more experiences.
All tips are still welcome.

Thx!
U.