• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spraying foamex type letters

Leadbelly

Looking for help and advice, AND YES I GOT CREAM FROM THE DOCTOR FOR THAT:rolleyes:

I have to outsource to get my raised letters and also to get them spray painted. I want to spray paint them myself, the equipment side of this is not the issue. I am nearly always offered two options on the spray painting.

OPT 1 rub down, sealed, hi-build primer, undercoat, 2pk colour coat and lacquerer. No problem with this one as the exposed cut porous edges are fully sealed and the paint job look as one.

OPT 2 seems to be a tickle of sand paper to the edges, maybe a slight seal than a blow of colour. now don't get me wrong this option of letter works really well for me at times as it suits my customers budget and I always show them both samples, so it is their choice. I have to add I have quite a few sets of this letters out there some as long as 7 years and still look good ( External Ireland )

HOW and what do you use to achieve this 2nd option because I have asked how they do it and it goes very quite the other end of the phone THEN DEAD.

I have spoken to guys that sell the paints but they seem to have no understanding of the foamex material and then revert to option 1 as the way to paint them, unfortunately no good for my budget jobs.

Leadbelly

rossmosh

I think you explained option #2 pretty clearly. Sand the edges down and spray the letters with color. What type of paint you use is completely up to you. Anything from $5 cans of spray paint to urethane paint works. Priming is not necessary with PVC, but you can obviously use it to get a bit of build up. If you're planning on spraying in a shop without a booth, you're going to want to look into acrylic paints. Spraying acrylics is a bit tricky as you need to thin them quite a bit, use a very large tip, spray several coats, and allow for the longer dry times. That said, you can spray acrylic paint in a regular work environment and not worry as much about killing yourself and the planet.