• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Square Footage: Loosey Goosey or On The Money?

How do you calculate square footage?

• I round up to the nearest whole number.

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • I use a few decimal places.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I try to be exact

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I do not price by the square foot.

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

rfulford

I am wondering how others handle square footage in their estimates. Do you round up to the nearest whole number, a set decimal place or neither? We round up to the nearest whole number.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
2% :omg:

Round up and add 15% or more on small jobs. Big projects, 500+, 1000+, or more, etc SF you can easily have waste in the hundreds of SF. On those we figure actual material used, not actual material being installed. Usually even on small jobs though, I know I'm running that 36" piece on 54" material so I just figure the width as 54" x the length plus a couple extra linear feet.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Print waste is factored separate from on vehicle size. The 2% waste is for vehicle size, we then factor our print waste as a percentage of that number... guess I should have clarified.

HulkSmash

SF is a silly way to price. It's a good base number to start on. Then you have to take everything else into factor.. like complexity.. and material.. labor for certain mounting jobs... lots of other things.,

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
SF is a silly way to price. It's a good base number to start on. Then you have to take everything else into factor.. like complexity.. and material.. labor for certain mounting jobs... lots of other things.,

Ding, ding, ding, ding...I think we have a winner.

JB

royster13

Then add in extra if you can get away with it......Not every client should get the same price.....Some have deeper pockets and if I can get away with a little extra margin, I do.....

OldPaint

well, been at this full time since 1986, have always priced most walls, windows, boards, panels, box trucks by SQ FT. ive said this before, when you do sq ft pricing, you just dont use the sq ft of what you cover with vinyl, you USE THE SQ FT OF THE WHOLE SPACE.
you got a 4 x 10. the amount of vinyl/lettering will not be on it all. if your lettering covers 30 sq ft of the 40 available. BUT when you want to get paid like you should use the whole 40 sq ft to figure pricing. example:
4 X 10=40 sq ft @ $10 s.f. = $400.00 amount of lettering will be under 30 s.f. so if you charge for only what you do in lettering, this doesnt take in the weeded vinyl you tossed in the trash can. sq ft is the only way to figure most jobs.
boats, pickup doors, signs smaller 4 x 8, now these you need to figure sq ft, and then add for TIME, COMPLEXITY &PITA FACTOR)))

rjssigns

We round up to the next full increment, but add given percentages based on "yield". Another thing is to make sure your estimating software has the "correct" dimensions plugged in. I set our roll width at 50". Client gets a fair price and we don't throw money away.

Craig Sjoquist

I use square foot figure for my costs, what it takes to do job, then it is value after that, how much of a hassle with it all.