• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Squeaking VS-640

MP Custom

Hi Guys and Girls,
My VS-640 has just started making squeaking sounds while the head is moving to the Left. Obviously something needs lubricating. But What? And what do I use?
Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions.
Cheers!
Mark

Joe House

Does the sound travel with the head, or is it stationary at one end or the other? Clean the bearing rail with isopropyl alcohol and add a drop of 3 in 1 oil and both sides of the carriage and move it back and forth by hand a few times (if you turn off the machine, you can move the carriage out to the left by first pushing it right to unlock it.)
If it's stationary it could be the pulleys or the motor or the gear - kind of hard to tell from here.;)

MP Custom

Does the sound travel with the head, or is it stationary at one end or the other? Clean the bearing rail with isopropyl alcohol and add a drop of 3 in 1 oil and both sides of the carriage and move it back and forth by hand a few times (if you turn off the machine, you can move the carriage out to the left by first pushing it right to unlock it.)
If it's stationary it could be the pulleys or the motor or the gear - kind of hard to tell from here.;)

Cheers Mate,
It seems to be stationary. Coming from the RHS. Can I lube the Gears and/Or Pulleys?
Cheers!

Joe House

Do one thing at a time - . You can try a little white lithium grease on the gear after cleaning off the old grease, or 3 in 1 oil on the pulley, but more often I find it's the motor that makes the noise. If it's the motor, just replace it. If oiling the pulley reduces the noise, plan on replacing them soon. If lubing the gear helps, inspect for wear, cracks or debris in the teeth that you may have missed when cleaning the gear.

BTW, my son and daughter in law are down in Australia on vacation. They're having a lot of fun down there.

Good Luck

MP Custom

Do one thing at a time - . You can try a little white lithium grease on the gear after cleaning off the old grease, or 3 in 1 oil on the pulley, but more often I find it's the motor that makes the noise. If it's the motor, just replace it. If oiling the pulley reduces the noise, plan on replacing them soon. If lubing the gear helps, inspect for wear, cracks or debris in the teeth that you may have missed when cleaning the gear.

BTW, my son and daughter in law are down in Australia on vacation. They're having a lot of fun down there.

Good Luck
Thank you Joe!
I will try your suggestions this weekend.
Glad your family are enjoying Oz! I hope the have a great time here.
Happy 4th of July to you