• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SSD with Smart Response Technology

Chimuka

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tryed using a small SSD in conjunction with what looks to be a bit of a hybrid like system for storage.

Intel's Smart Response Technology uses a SSD as a cache. What I would like to know is there a catch?

I hope sign software plays well with this.

If I was confident that SSD's were dependable I would just opt to just use the SSD, but guess I am not confident that they are so, I thought using an Intel seems to give the best odds for not having trouble.

If the 40 gig drive went bad, and if one has a system files and good backups handy, I hope restoring yuor system would not be to difficult. I hope this be a good fit until SSD's have a better reputation.

Any thoughts?

:thankyou:

Custom_Grafx

I use a SSD for OS and my Apps.

My data is on a mechanical HDD, which is backed up daily.

You can use something like Acronis to create an image of the SSD in case of failure which should only take around an hour to get back up and running. You can create a boot partition on your mechanical HDD for emergencies like this if you want to I guess. As long as I have Versaworks and Adobe CS, I'm good for most things without too much trouble, so I don't have a full primary drive image handy (but I should).

Custom_Grafx

As for the speed an SSD offers - hands down far superior ripping files, opening and saving files and the such. Around 500mb/second :)

SignBurst PCs

I use a SSD for OS and my Apps.

My data is on a mechanical HDD, which is backed up daily.

You can use something like Acronis to create an image of the SSD in case of failure which should only take around an hour to get back up and running. You can create a boot partition on your mechanical HDD for emergencies like this if you want to I guess. As long as I have Versaworks and Adobe CS, I'm good for most things without too much trouble, so I don't have a full primary drive image handy (but I should).

If you have Win 7, you don't need Acronis to create an image. An image based backup is built in. It takes minutes to backup and minutes to restore (how many minutes depends on how much data you are backing up).

choucove

SSDs are still quite new technology, that is true, and their reliability compared to hard drives is very hard to determine. It's very hard, though, for me to say that you're going to have less reliability than a mechanical hard drive.

Lately, I've seen a lot of failing mechanical drives, and I don't know if it's just me, but it's above normal. If you're comparing the reliability of an SSD with a mechanical hard drive, then what kind of mechanical hard drive, as the types seem to vary greatly with reliability as well.

For three years I've used two Vertex 120GB SSDs in a RAID 0 array for my operating systems and programs on my primary computer. This system has seen nearly 24/7 up time in those three years, with SEVERAL stress tests, re-installations, everything imaginable perhaps. Finally, just a week ago, one of those Vertex drives began showing errors. The drive would occasionally not be seen in EFI BIOS and when it would, the system would run checkdisk each boot up detecting and fixing numerous errors.

So, three years of continual heavy usage in a strenuous RAID 0 array configuration isn't bad lifespan. That's longer than the Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB hard drives lasted that I used for data. I migrated all that data to new WD 2TB hard drives when I rebuilt the system this spring after the Seagate drives were starting to click and fail. That's longer than a lot of mechanical drives I have seen last lately.

Now, as to your original question though. I believe what you're referring to is the SSD cache system that now can be found in the Intel Z68 chipset, correct? From the reviews I've seen of it, it's a nice feature, but not great yet. The performance benefit is much less than just using a regular SSD as your primary drive but you still have the same cost. In the end, most people recommended using a hybrid drive such as the hybrid SSD/HDD drives Seagate offers.

Now, this is my opinion, but I'm honestly not a proponent of this. If you're wanting to get a SSD it's because of their greatest strength: speed. Don't cut corners if that's your goal. There are other ways of securing your system from a possible faulty or failed drive and still use the speed of the SSD to its full potential that will be less of a complex headache (and not sacrificing your speed) than using a cache system like this or a hybrid drive. Imaged-based backups like others above have mentioned is perhaps the best tool. I've used this myself and it's very effective, requires very little time, and will allow you to use a full SSD without necessarily worrying about it's reliability.

If all you're really wanting to do is speed up the cache or temporary files of your production software, such as Flexi or Photoshop, then maybe what's best is just to add a small SSD in and set the program to point to that drive for its temp files. Better yet, if your system can handle lots of RAM, set up to use a RAMDisk.

kffernandez

If all you're really wanting to do is speed up the cache or temporary files of your production software, such as Flexi or Photoshop, then maybe what's best is just to add a small SSD in and set the program to point to that drive for its temp files. Better yet, if your system can handle lots of RAM, set up to use a RAMDisk.

have they already improved on the write speeds for SSD's?
from what i gathered from about a year or so ago, the SSD's have great read speeds, but really bad write speeds. which is why i'm wondering why you'd recommend using them for your temp files.

for me, it makes much more sense to put your OS and programs on it, to get the maximum speed out of them. and yes, the ramdisk, if built with enough ram would make excellent scratch/temp disks. :)

kelly

choucove

Today's SSDs have much better read and write speeds than any mechanical drive. Unless you're going with the absolute cheapest SSD on the market (which I would definitely not recommend) you're going to see marked improvements over a mechanical drive.

It's true that most SSDs have a slower write speed than read speed. This has especially been the case on Intel SSDs. Some of their older generation drives had up to 300MB/s read speeds but only a 70MB/s write speed. However, this is really not that common anymore.

I was just given (like ten minutes ago actually) a Vertex 3 SSD as a new birthday present from a friend. This is one of the fastest single SSD drives available today, with read speeds of up to 550MB/s and writes up to 520MB/s meaning you have to have a SATA III controller to utilize all that speed anyways.

Just this week we had to roll out a new computer to replace an old system that finally gave up the ghost. I'll be doing a review of the system along with some tests on the possible benefit of using a RAMDisk for a scratch disk. More to come on that probably next week!

Chimuka

I guess I was just wondering if there were any users of this type out there.
I see the Rapid response tech has 2 modes. Enhanced, is safer for your files ,but the improvment is not that much.

Maximize puts your files st risk but it sounds like a reasonably good bump of performance. ( At least what I had read).Thus my interest in system restoring because unless one uses the maximize mode , it just does not make much sense to do this.

Some are saying that the rapters in a raid out perform the seagate Hybrid... I don't know, but I am going to go ahead with the new tech cache.

Thanks for all the responses