• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Staining" logo on refinished wood.

Cynosure

Think my customer is out of luck, but figure this is the place to confirm. My customer has a wood slat wall they want a logo stained on. Problem is, the slats come with a matte sealer on them. Pretty sure staining is out. They don't want me to sand the wall to let it accept the stain. Anyone else run across anything like this before?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Metal Stencil and a Blowtorch.

When in doubt, burn it out.

bold_will_hold

You would need to remove the sealer. You could sand all the sealer off the wall then try to stain and re-seal. The issue with real wood and stain is that the stain seeps into the wood which would probably bleed out from the stencil. I agree with the metal stencil and blowtorch idea! You could also look into just using a paint color similar to the stain color and paint the graphic onto the wood.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
According to what your client means by a stain, the easiest way to do this, now that the wood has already been sealed is to just get the color he wants the stain and based on the wood if it's light or dark, you will hafta tint your regular oil based paint to the color of their choice and just add whatever clear polyurethane floor sealer to it. Gloss, matte or semi..... it comes in a variety of finishes. Decide on the amount of transparency they want, put a frisket on the wall and paint away. Do not let it run. Keep an eye on it so nothing sags or drips. That will show quite a bit. Perhaps, you could roll it on, if you can use a frisket, that will adhere well.

spectrum maine

Think my customer is out of luck, but figure this is the place to confirm. My customer has a wood slat wall they want a logo stained on. Problem is, the slats come with a matte sealer on them. Pretty sure staining is out. They don't want me to sand the wall to let it accept the stain. Anyone else run across anything like this before?

mask off, scuff w/ scotchbrite spray stain color mixed w clear (very transparent) do 5+ very light coats -good to go.

TammieH

you can tint 1 Shot clear and spray through an applied paint mask, we use to do this a lot with faux finishes

You may try to get an extra board to practice if the is something new to you...apply your paint mask and scuff the open area with like a 000 steel wool

jimbug72

Would a polyurethane premixed with stain not work on top of the current seal? I haven't researched them so I'm not sure if they are available in matte finish, but it seems like you could go back over it with a matte finish afterwards if the finish matters to the client

AaronSSsignsKC

One shot paint pick or mix a color, you can reduce it with High temp reducer to create a transparent look similar to stain it will adhere to the clear coat. Pounce the design or cut a paint mask and call it good. You could trap out a second mask to apply a one shot clear over after the original paint color has dried.

AaronSSsignsKC

Just like mentioned before one shot clear will work fine, but I would not try to do it with just one mask unless you have experience doing so once the paint begins to dry it can bridge with the mask and cause fracturing. I would make a mask for the paint paint the image let dry till just tacky peel mask let sit over night apply a second mask trapped out a 1/6th to 1/8th inch outside the painted area and apply the clear. If it is simple lines and you are good with a brush you can skip the second mask and apply the clear free hand as well it shouldnt be to noticeable once applied and dried.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Would a polyurethane premixed with stain not work on top of the current seal? I haven't researched them so I'm not sure if they are available in matte finish, but it seems like you could go back over it with a matte finish afterwards if the finish matters to the client
Stain is not going to permeate the sealer, so no, that probably won't do anything.

Had one idea..... maybe printing a light shade of whatever color you need on clear vinyl, cut on the plotter and apply to the wood. Inks are already pretty translucent, so an even lighter color will tint the wood, and you'll have nice crisp edges.

Cynosure

Wow...thanks for all the input everyone. I have presented a few options...we will see how it goes!

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Wow...thanks for all the input everyone. I have presented a few options...we will see how it goes!

Are ya gonna burn it?

Because that is always bada$$.