• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stand up or sit down?

Pete Moss

I know there has been a few similar post, but I would love to see and hear about peoples choices. I'd really like to have a stand up station with the option to sit as well, but have not yet figured out how to make one for a decent price. I am mostly interested in economy stand up stations or what folks have made. Thanks & Happy New Year!

Johnny Best

A friend of mine went to Harbor Freight and bought jack stands and built one. He said it was adjustable and cheap.
What I do is set my clock jack stands.jpg on my laptop to tell me the time every hour and I will get up and walk around. Thats is even cheaper.

printhog

I bought stainless steel commercial food prep tables (24*60) and some matching barstools to make combo sit stand work areas years back. The tables have a shelf about a foot of the ground that's perfect for PC and as a foot rest. They're fantastic. Total cost was around $300 each set.

I went a step further and set one up in the front of the shop dedicated to sales. I duplicated the designer's monitor so clients could see the design work and quoting system while facing me. Clients liked the interaction in this layout and the transparency in the pricing. I noticed it increased sales success and drastically increased upsell. I run a time tracker that stays on top and shows the billable time & price as they review the project.

The extra time and energy with them pays off and it's now a standard in my shops sales area.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Pete Moss

I bought stainless steel commercial food prep tables (24*60) and some matching barstools to make combo sit stand work areas years back. The tables have a shelf about a foot of the ground that's perfect for PC and as a foot rest. They're fantastic. Total cost was around $300 each set.

I went a step further and set one up in the front of the shop dedicated to sales. I duplicated the designer's monitor so clients could see the design work and quoting system while facing me. Clients liked the interaction in this layout and the transparency in the pricing. I noticed it increased sales success and drastically increased upsell. I run a time tracker that stays on top and shows the billable time & price as they review the project.

The extra time and energy with them pays off and it's now a standard in my shops sales area.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Awesome idea.

Pete Moss

With the exception of the jack stand idea, everything is pretty pricey. Great, albeit spendy. Any other ideas for under $75-$100?

Johnny Best

You want cheap? Just take the bottom and top roll holders, cut your cardboard tubes to the height you want, attach a scrape .10mm pvc panel to the top and you can make one for nothing...and you wondered why you collected those things. cheap.jpg It might run you $2 for hardware for attachment.

Pippin Decals

if you build something similar to my table i made from no plans you can do both easily.everything moves up and down and out of the way.[video=youtube;dT4NqAVEHtw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT4NqAVEHtw[/video]

WrapYourCar

Just out of curiosity how on earth do you run a business if you can't afford a $400 desk? Go second hand should be heaps cheaper.

Pete Moss

Just out of curiosity how on earth do you run a business if you can't afford a $400 desk? Go second hand should be heaps cheaper.
I am merely an employee, when though, is saving money not a decent idea? I mean, if it sacrifices quality, then sure. However, I am looking for an option that will carry a low cost or if need be I could pay out of pocket.

Johnny Best

Warren Buffett would tell him to take the $400 and invest it in stocks. Then he could stand up and walk to the bank with his profits.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I am merely an employee...

Check with your employer. I'm sure they'll work with you to get something. My former employers would give us a tool/equipment allowance that we could use for "nice to have" (but non-mandatory) items for the job. They would take small weekly deductions from our checks until the balance was paid.

I would gladly do this for my employees if it meant better productivity.

JB

Marlene

milk crates sounds like it is in your price range. stack them up to the height you want and there you go, a stand up desk

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Oh well, I decided to spring for the mama jama desk.
Bamboo Jarvis Standing Desk
What type of desk do you have Marlene?

Wow, that one is even more expensive than the Varidesk and it requires you to totally renovate your office, assuming you already had a nice desk in the first place.

Our local office supply store has one like the Bamboo and I considered it when I was shopping around. But I passed on it because I don't need one more thing to plug in, or something that has a motor to burn out.

JB