• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Staples closed next to me

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
Now i have 14 dollar customers coming in and screaming my prices are too high…

seriously, though.

i have a registry of motor vehicles next to me and people are coming in and asking to download and print forms they need in a panic. staples used to do copies,i am thinking of getting into this.
i have a xerox phaser 8560mfp with built in scanner i could use for selling copies. but i don't want them using a computer to download files for printing.

thoughts?

Mosher

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They're gonna expect copies for like 6¢ each, regardless if you are scanning or whatever. You'd do better to just put a sign in your window, no copy services available. Don't waste your time with sh!t like that, unless you think you can make several hundred dollars a day off these people. The odds of one of these people ordering any signs from you are next to nothing.

Dennis Trump

You'll never make any good dollars selling copies to those customers but you will eat up tremendous amount customer interaction time. Run like the wind. We have a $25 minimum. Source - 37 years in the print for pay market.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
look into a coin operated machine, that way you don't need to interact with them at all.

Yeah, then when they hit it, jam it or put slugs in it, you're left with more problems. Best to keep your equipment safe in the hands of understanding employees or yourself..... not total strangers.

bannertime

Supply and demand...

Exactly. Explain that it's not a service you typically offer, but you can do it at a price that makes it worthwhile for yourself. There is no reason to be competitive in pricing on a service you don't offer. If you find it's not worth it, then stop.

You can get a computer capable enough to down and print fairly cheap. Isolate them from the rest of the network, and you're good to go.

ams

Making paper copies is like sign companies doing tshirts. It's not worth the time or little profit you make.

Johnny Best

Yea you could start selling crack when the drug dealer moves out.
Just make a sign and say you do not make copies.

boxerbay

set up a kiosk in the corner with a computer and printer/scanner. try it out. if it gets too cumbersome shut it down.