• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting Out / Generating Business

Blaster

Adam B.
Looking for some advice. Wife and I have really just finished getting our shop together. We are relocating next year to Tennessee so I didn't want to lease a storefront. We operate out of a workshop on our property. We've been selling our goods and services online at the moment and doing well, but i want to generate more business locally to keep the machines and ourselves busy. My question is do any of you operate of your home workshops and how do you present yourself to a client that may be hung up on the fact that you operate out of your residence. From looking at the local shops around me, I feel we are better equipped than most of them. Any thoughts or advice?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, you think there's something wrong with a 'working outta your house' set up ??

What's your knowledge or wife's knowledge in/of the sign industry ?? What all do you offer ??

Can you instal signs, fabricate, weld, make electric boxes, do vehicle wraps...... etc ??

Last..... what kinda equipment are you running ??

Marlene

what do you make? if one off type signs, that would be no big deal but if your customer wants a sign person and next you are no where to be found, that could be a problem. it would help to know what you do.

Blaster

Adam B.
So, you think there's something wrong with a 'working outta your house' set up ??

What's your knowledge or wife's knowledge in/of the sign industry ?? What all do you offer ??

Can you instal signs, fabricate, weld, make electric boxes, do vehicle wraps...... etc ??

Currently, I am a special effects designer by trade. I design pyrotechnic and laser effects for the concert and television industry. If you've seen the Suoerbowl Halftime Show for the last 7 years or the MTV Video Music Awards then you've seen my work. Before this life however, I owned a sign maintenance and installation company for 10 yrs. We fabricated and installed various types of signs for local companies that didnt own a bucket or derrick truck. . My wife manages a bank and is near retirement so she will be the business mind on this endeavor. I really enjoyed the work we did back then and decided I would like to open my own shop again. I thought it would be great to try and incorporate some of the specialty things we do in entertainment design with sign work.

We currently run the following equipment: HP Latex 360, HP Designjet Z6200 (used mostly for my cad drawings) , Graphtec Plotter, Seal Image 600 Laminator, 4'x8' CNC Router, EnRoute Software, Flexi 12 for production and Adobe CC for content. Small bucket truck, welders, etc

Last edited:

Billct2

Sounds like you have the experience and set up that should instill confidence in most clients. Working from a shop on your property shouldn't make a difference, depending on the area lots of trades probably do the same. I always think the best way to get some business, especially with you equipment, is to hit places that need service and/or replacement of existing signs. Show up with a nice little intro packet and be prepared to quote on the spot.

Blaster

Adam B.
what do you make? if one off type signs, that would be no big deal but if your customer wants a sign person and next you are no where to be found, that could be a problem. it would help to know what you do.
Of course. Right now we make a lot of banners and yard signs, Problem is the online prices companies charge are brutally low.. I cant compete with that and it isn't worth my time trying to either. We also do dimensional/carved signs.

Blaster

Adam B.

No, Not at all Gino. Its just my perception I guess of what the client thinks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're as good as you said, you can be anywhere and they will search you out. I would not worry about the cheapies online. That is a breed all of it's own. Whether you're selling TV trays, moccasins or food products, you'll always have those cheap hawkers out there online. Create your reputation, just as you did before..... and it will come back tenfold.

Blaster

Adam B.
If you're as good as you said, you can be anywhere and they will search you out. I would not worry about the cheapies online. That is a breed all of it's own. Whether you're selling TV trays, moccasins or food products, you'll always have those cheap hawkers out there online. Create your reputation, just as you did before..... and it will come back tenfold.
That's what I mean, no one really knows we're out there to seek out. I've done a bunch of freebie stuff locally to schools etc to get the name out but what else?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With what you said up front, about moving, why start or put anything into an area you'll be leaving ?? Rely on word of mouth for now, until you make your big move. Otherwise, hope the online stuff will float you through. It takes some time to grow a business and if you have no real aim at a serious target audience and your business plan is to move....... Why spin wheels unnecessarily ??

papabud

Lone Wolf
i would look for local sign and wrap businesses and see if they can use some contract labor or have any over flow they could outsource to you

Blaster

Adam B.
With what you said up front, about moving, why start or put anything into an area you'll be leaving ?? Rely on word of mouth for now, until you make your big move. Otherwise, hope the online stuff will float you through. It takes some time to grow a business and if you have no real aim at a serious target audience and your business plan is to move....... Why spin wheels unnecessarily ??

Yes that's true but things can change and would rather be generating income instead of standing by so to speak.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Things can always change. As we get older, things don't bounce back they way they did in the past..... from health to business. You always need to be prepared {scout's motto], but if you give certain facts and expect answers for those facts, don't throw us a curve and tell us, something else. Cross-signals are not a good idea and if you want an escape route for every move..... you're never gonna take that proverbial brass ring. A business plan would be a good idea and try to follow it, but skirting all around the place, just becomes a confusing merry-go-round ride.

Blaster

Adam B.
Things can always change. As we get older, things don't bounce back they way they did in the past..... from health to business. You always need to be prepared {scout's motto], but if you give certain facts and expect answers for those facts, don't throw us a curve and tell us, something else. Cross-signals are not a good idea and if you want an escape route for every move..... you're never gonna take that proverbial brass ring. A business plan would be a good idea and try to follow it, but skirting all around the place, just becomes a confusing merry-go-round ride.
I was merely stating that I don't want to be idle while were waiting to relocate.. We have a business plan and follow it. I was simply looking for other ideas. In my business, I feel the best end product comes from collaborating w others, and such, I'm asking others.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Understood, but why not just do like papabud said and align yourself with other shops in the area and ask for their overflow ?? Create a product the others can't produce. With your vast background you should be able to do things, most of the others cannot fathom, let alone fabricate. Advertise it on the net or wherever, but like I said, this kinda stuff takes time to take hold and if you're moving, it could be a lotta work for nothing. Most things don't come back for sometimes a good while.

Good luck..............​

Blaster

Adam B.
Understood, but why not just do like papabud said and align yourself with other shops in the area and ask for their overflow ?? Create a product the others can't produce. With your vast background you should be able to do things, most of the others cannot fathom, let alone fabricate. Advertise it on the net or wherever, but like I said, this kinda stuff takes time to take hold and if you're moving, it could be a lotta work for nothing. Most things don't come back for sometimes a good while.

Good luck..............​
I appreciate what your saying and will check w other shops. I do have knowledge but I have seen some of the work that people create on here and it is quite simply amazing. I aspire to be half as good as most on this board and appreciate everyone's help and opinions. S101 has been a great resource for us.

d fleming

Sounds like you are doing just fine. Not too much bucket truck work goes on at the shop anyway ;-). Once you move if you have need find a warehouse for the toys and hang a sign.

equippaint

Sounds like you have the experience and set up that should instill confidence in most clients. Working from a shop on your property shouldn't make a difference, depending on the area lots of trades probably do the same. I always think the best way to get some business, especially with you equipment, is to hit places that need service and/or replacement of existing signs. Show up with a nice little intro packet and be prepared to quote on the spot.
Dont quote on the spot. Qualify it, 9 times out of 10 all they are doing is sizing you up. Get them to invest a little time in it and give you a budget to back in to if at all possible. If you throw out prices, youre going to start out in business chasing pennys and eating ramen for a long time.

equippaint

Like Gino said, it takes a long time to generate a good amount of business. If you're just looking to bide your time until you move, I'd market your cnc ability to every small sign shop in your region. Make a brochure of 3d signs and see if you can make some "dealers". They stick their names on your brochures and sell to the end user for you. You finish, they finish.. however they want. Figure a pricing model so they can quote them without needing to call you all the time.

SlikGRFX

I worked from home for a while and I would go out and visit clients. Most signage jobs required an on-site visit and you can get an idea of their requirements and possible future work. I didn't want clients at my home, potentially seeing my equipment, my setup and my security, and also the value of my property. It's like when a salesman shows up in a brand new Mercedes...

I later moved to a shop on a busy road and I spent most of my working days chatting and providing quotes to walk-ins rather than getting on with the business of making signs and money. It meant a lot of late nights catching up on work that I should have done during the day. If you are the key man, the last thing you want to be doing is wasting your time. If you are out fitting signs, who is going to take care of the shop and your potential customers?

If the internet sales are making a profit for you, why not focus on growing that part of the business? Post on forums, advertise, pay per click, social media etc. After all the internet sales are something that will move to Tennessee with you.