• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Static just killed my fc8600 - can I fix it?

victor bogdanov

Go to press a button on my oldest machine 6 or 7 year old graphtec fc 8600 30" and got the worst static discharge i've ever experienced, my finger is still numb from the shock.

Machine instantly turned off and now when I turn on the power switch only the screen backlight turns on. Nothing is displayed, suction fans are not on and machine is totally unresponsive.

Where would I start trying to repair this? this is one of 10 cutters that I have so not a huge deal if I can't get it working but if the fix is relatively easy I'll fix it.

Any tips?

Must be the clothes I'm wearing today, I'm very static today.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'd say either the main board or power supply got fried and the fact that it turns on at all probably means the main board. If you can find someone to fix the board that's an option but you probably just need to throw one or both of those boards at it and it should get back up and running.

netsol

victor, look on ebay for a system board,

there is a guy advertising that he repairs them, like kent from macmedia used to (before he retired)

he is

labtos

either message him directly or on ebay search for roland main board repair, choose contact seller

i have discussed sending people to him, but honestly you would be the first

we can also search for roland system board on ebay, craigslist (there is aa way to do a "whole country" search but it is a pain in the ass
you can also check letgo and offerup

we no longer do this type of repair (my crazy engineer, henry died 2 years ago & i am too busy (as well as too blind for that kind of closeup work anymore)

you didn't see my "everyone go out and buy a humidifier" posts

that would have probably saved the board, you only get a shock like that during heating season

wish we could do more to help

victor bogdanov

to be clear, labtos is his ebay id

Ok thanks for the info, Ill contact him soon and see how much it will cost to repair the board

Just looked for a new mainboard and at around $700 plus the time I'll have to put into fixing the machine I might just let it sit along with my 2 dead roland cutters. It is an old very heavily used machine.

You're right about the humidity, even here in Houston TX it's dry