• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help static shock made my Graphtec buttons not work

depps74

Today while working I weeded some vinyl off the plotter (graphtec 8600, 4 months old). When I went to hit the cut material button I got a static shock and the machine held a continuous beeping. I turned it off and after that the buttons did not work. The LCD worked fine, but it did not respond to the buttons I pushed for Roll 1 and Roll 2 etc.... This plotter is brand new and I am shocked (no pun intended) that it wigged out so easily.

Question: IS this fixable?
Is this something that will create bugs and problems down the road?

Did I just loose my machine to a static shock?

HELP!!!

d

netsol

Today while working I weeded some vinyl off the plotter (graphtec 8600, 4 months old). When I went to hit the cut material button I got a static shock and the machine held a continuous beeping. I turned it off and after that the buttons did not work. The LCD worked fine, but it did not respond to the buttons I pushed for Roll 1 and Roll 2 etc.... This plotter is brand new and I am shocked (no pun intended) that it wigged out so easily.

Question: IS this fixable?
Is this something that will create bugs and problems down the road?

Did I just loose my machine to a static shock?

HELP!!!

d
you should get a decent free standing humidifier. i imagine you have hot air heat, dries the air out, causing this sort of problem
you could also buy an anti static mat to step on before touching the machine. good cheap insurance FOR NEXT TIME.

the usb connections are very susceptible to this kind of damage as well, when connecting and disconnecting

do yourself a favor and spend a couple hundred on a decent UPS a battery backup to protect the delicate electronics from surges and spikes as well

tbullo

Superunknown
Back in the day we had a static shock to our FC4100. Graphtec sent a loaner plotter to us while they repaired ours so we were not down the whole time.

zillion29

I static shocked our FC8600 a week ago (don't weed massive amounts of vinyl ON the machine, btw). At first it seemed like the shock had only disabled a few buttons, but then it started only reading between the first few grit rollers. It turned out that the control panel was fine, the static had actually knocked out the entire main board, which needed to be completely replaced.