• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Steel Lettering & Branding

Adam M

Hey guys,

I am a forum noob and am not in the sign making industry, I work for a company that cuts hot rolled carbon steel with lasers. I would like to know if steel lettering or branding is something sign makers frequently use.

I've noticed that there are a lot of posts in the forums regarding font identification for the purposes of repairing or replacing old letters, and that there are one or two commonly referred to companies for having lettering made our of different metals. Gemini seems to be the most common one. I also noticed that Gemini offers several different types of metal, steel being one of them, and I was wondering if you could help tell me if carbon steel, not stainless steel is a commonly used material type.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Hey guys,

I am a forum noob and am not in the sign making industry, I work for a company that cuts hot rolled carbon steel with lasers. I would like to know if steel lettering or branding is something sign makers frequently use.

I've noticed that there are a lot of posts in the forums regarding font identification for the purposes of repairing or replacing old letters, and that there are one or two commonly referred to companies for having lettering made our of different metals. Gemini seems to be the most common one. I also noticed that Gemini offers several different types of metal, steel being one of them, and I was wondering if you could help tell me if carbon steel, not stainless steel is a commonly used material type.

Steel isn't used nearly as much as aluminum. When steel is used, it's typically stainless.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Thanks Moze, if I could pick your brain a bit more do you think it is because of rust, cost, availability?

I've never specifically asked any manufacturers/vendors that question, but I'm sure the primary reasons include:

- aluminum is soft and can be cut quickly and easily on a router
- aluminum is easier to drill and tap for stud-mounting
- aluminum doesn't rust
- aluminum is much lighter (easier/safer installs)
- aluminum is easier to prep and paint
- while more expensive up front, the ease of workability quickly justifies the initial cost

Other than stainless steel letters, the only other use for steel in the sign industry is for supports, framing and for specifically spec'd signs (ie. Cor-Ten) where a specific weathered steel look is desired.

Adam M

I've never specifically asked any manufacturers/vendors that question, but I'm sure the primary reasons include:

- aluminum doesn't rust
- while more expensive up front, the ease of workability quickly justifies the initial cost

Other than stainless steel letters, the only other use for steel in the sign industry is for supports, framing and for specifically spec'd signs (ie. Cor-Ten) where a specific weathered steel look is desired.

Thanks! That is some great information.

visual800

- aluminum doesn't rust

This is exactly what i would have said. Back in the day we used steel posts for fab, no longer! Everything is just easier with aluminum