• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

steel + waterjet = who does it?

TXFB.INS

Looking for a vendor that cuts steel, I have already contacted Big Blue Saw since they are listed as a MM here. Are there any others who cut steel?

We have a customer who is looking to get some “budget” steel cut for an RV park they are opening

The specs that we know

• Material: Steel
  • Thickness: I would guess 16ga.
    • Exact is unknown, their focus was budget friendly
  • Size: 4” x 8”
    • This size was a rough guess it may change depending on size / information on sign
  • QTY: 56 +
    • Numbers 1 – 54, then several word signs
  • Finish: they want the steel raw to allow it to rust
  • Cut: reverse (negative) cut

MikePro

food for thought. dont just let the steel rust, rapidly oxidize it either before or after install by spraying with a solution of saltwater & hydrogen peroxide.
pretty awesome, and less chance of having bird poop/debris dictate how evenly your panels oxidize outside on their own.

2B

What is the ratio of salt to water and how much saltwater to hydrogen peroxide any instructions that you found to best apply this? I've heard than vinegar also works to rust steel?

MikePro

sorry for derailing your quest for a waterjet cutter, but I'm such a nerd with it comes to neat details.
I learned this originally from youtube vids & trial/error, except there's really no error aside from the mess/stink you make.

Can't find our exact formula we used at the moment, but you really can just wing-it: i believe it was something along the lines of 1/4 cup vinegar, tablespoon of salt, and a couple cups of hydrogen peroxide.... and then added water to fillup rest of the spray bottle. Saltwater is enough to rust steel on its own, but vinegar/saltwater accelerates it to the point that you'll start to see it rust in an hour and brilliant rust-coverage overnight.

pics shown, sprayed night before, assembled&installed next day. Patterns come from welded spots and/or handling prior to spraying. If you want it more evenly-rusted, then give a light sanding after initial rusting, and spray again.
Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 4.50.18 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 4.48.19 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 4.46.59 PM.jpg

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Go ahead and lightly sandblast your panels. Some sheet steel is pickled and oiled (P&O) and you may get uneven results otherwise.

JB

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
If you're placing your signage on limestone caps, make sure you seal the limestone well to avoid streaking.

JB

rjssigns

Any reason for using a waterjet? If not check for a fab shop with a plasma table or laser. Cost savings should be significant with plasma. Final thought. If the shapes you need aren't that complex it would be a good excuse to buy a hand held plasma cutter, and do them in house. I love that type of work.

bjt140

We can laser cut steel in our shop. If youd like to pm me and send the pattern over I can run it through our estimator to get you a price. Only downside may be the shipping cost.