• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stencil on painted concrete

3Dsigns

A customer wants to paint graphics on a concrete water tank with stencils. The tank has been coated fairly rough and top-coated with latex paint. At first I thought maybe high-tac sandblast stencil but now I'm not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

TimToad

You could cut rough surface vinyl and use it as a mask, but I'd test it first on a spot you could paint over.

Do you have the design already to show us all how complex and what size it is?

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
If they top coated latex you might have some issues with that peeling off.
May want to paper pounce and pray.

3Dsigns

I can do pounce patterns and all that, no problem. But this is the customer doing this. I ain't climbing up no water tower, rappelling off the side or even going up on a bucket truck. :) The customer tried some vinyl and I don't think it will stick like he wants. He just wants a stencil so he can paint it with latex.

TimToad

I can do pounce patterns and all that, no problem. But this is the customer doing this. I ain't climbing up no water tower, rappelling off the side or even going up on a bucket truck. :) The customer tried some vinyl and I don't think it will stick like he wants. He just wants a stencil so he can paint it with latex.

Sorry, I assumed it was a ground level tank. The problem with regular paint mask is that its semi-rigid and isn't going to seal very well if the surface is to rough.

Billct2

If it's that large and high it should be fine. I have had clients use pounce patterns on big tank graphics and their regular painting crew did the job. If the graphics are basic and large
anyone who is a a painter that can cut in a trim color should be able to handle it.

studio 440

Hire a couple old wall dogs they will bang it out in a day

3Dsigns

I asked and they have used pounce patterns before, but the surface is too grainy to get a good transfer due to the detail of the graphic. Do you think Gerbermask Ultra 2 would work on this?
Untitled-1.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How big is the final piece on the tank ?? Also, using copperplate is almost a joke, if you don't think you can pounce it.

I pounced and painted a stucco wall about 3 years ago. Turned out fine. Not near the detail you have, but it can be done and I was about 25' in the air going about 55'

Billct2

If it's too rough to pounce no way will paint mask work. You are then into skilled wall dog work using scaled sketches and a grid.

3Dsigns

How big is the final piece on the tank ?? Also, using copperplate is almost a joke, if you don't think you can pounce it.

I pounced and painted a stucco wall about 3 years ago. Turned out fine. Not near the detail you have, but it can be done and I was about 25' in the air going about 55'

Customer says the round band part is 5' high. Pretty small for a water tower I would think. I'm thinking most of that smaller detail could be eliminated.

Marlene

With something as detailed as what you showed, they might be better off getting a mural painter to do it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Print it with a flatbed, vinyl or whatever..... even hand-paint it on a piece of 3mm ACM and put that piece on the tank. Done and all the detail is in tact. I just did a quickie, you'd make it smooth edges and nice. This was just for illustration purposes.
fishy.jpg

d fleming

Yep, at 5" I would think a vinyl graphic on acm with some back cutting if a rounded surface and you could mount it to concrete. 5' is pretty small for a tower plus that high up.

3Dsigns

Print it with a flatbed, vinyl or whatever..... even hand-paint it on a piece of 3mm ACM and put that piece on the tank. Done and all the detail is in tact. I just did a quickie, you'd make it smooth edges and nice. This was just for illustration purposes. View attachment 134927
Please excuse my ignorance; what is "ACM"? Just a sheet of 3M controltac or something?