• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stop the cutting on overlapping line segments

sportycliff

I hate learning new software. Particularly antique software with jobs in house.

Omega 2.02.0.9 Composer 2.0.0.312
Is there any way to turn off the cut in individual line segments?

I have some overlapping print/cut areas I need to clean up. Although I can select the segments, when I turn off cut it turns it off for the whole object?

Help!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not real sure what you're trying to accomplish but you can enter "Find Intersections" under the Detail Edit menu and uncheck the Retain Closed Shapes checkbox. You can then separate the segments and apply whatever strokes, cuts or no cuts you want to them. Any object or segment in Composer must have a fill and/or a stroke for the program to allow you to turn off cuts.

Is this a print and cut that you're trying to create a contour path for or what?

Malkin

Not individual segments, but you could copy/paste back, set to "cut only" and delete the segments that you don't want to cut.

I suspect there is a better way though. Can you post the file or a screencap of it in outline mode and describe exactly what you need to do?

sportycliff

Yes, it's a prin and cut, but I've got an overlapping area that I don't want to cut.
I tried the find intersections, then detail selection, and turn off cuts, but it turns off the cut for the whole object, and not just the line segment?

sportycliff

Not individual segments, but you could copy/paste back, set to "cut only" and delete the segments that you don't want to cut.

I suspect there is a better way though. Can you post the file or a screencap of it in outline mode and describe exactly what you need to do?

Ted, gonna try that, but I think the problem is it'll leave an open shape, and it won't fill...if I join the segment it'll be back to the same problem?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yes, it's a prin and cut, but I've got an overlapping area that I don't want to cut.
I tried the find intersections, then detail selection, and turn off cuts, but it turns off the cut for the whole object, and not just the line segment?

The easiest way to create your cutpath is to copy and paste it to a different workspace. Then make all paths the same material and no fills or strokes. You can then use the Effects > Contour to create the cutpath ... which may need some removal of internal retained objects.

Now copy and paste it back into the original workspace. Make sure your cut is grouped and your print is also grouped. Select both and center-center justify and you're done.

Malkin

^^^ What Fred said.

I do that frequently for when I have semi complex art that needs to only cut around the outside contour.

sportycliff

Looks like it worked, I'll be cutting shortly! Thanks Fred, and Ted.

You know for an old software, it has some great features, just wish they were more intuitive...