• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Strange problem with DX5 printhead

Phoenicis

Hi,

we recently purchased an UV printer which use a couple of Epson DX5 printheads (CMYK+WWWW).

Since few weeks the black started to give us problems...visible on nozzle check but also when printing black parts.
Here's the nozzle status:

nozzle%201_zpsfzagydhk.jpg

We always do the right and accurate maintenance, when starting and when turning off the printer, every day.
I have previous experience in those kind of process as I worked for a company who print t-shirts and other similar stuff.

Anyway, some days after the black stopped working completely.
Nozzles were not stuck or dirty as we can suck the ink via the cap station and I also can push some cleaning solution or ink with a siringe from the dampers fit through the head.
Also the dampers are ok, we tried to change them with new ones, same result.

nozzle%202_zpsmhucnigw.jpg

Seems more like an electrical problem with the first two lines of nozzles.

Anyway, since we needed the colour printhead as soon as possible we decide to swap the two printheads (cleaning them well before do the swap of course), the CMYK one with the White Ink one (which was PERFECT).

Since we started the "new" printhead on CMYK part the black start to going wrong...AGAIN!
The black has again some strange deviation on vertical lines...which are visible also when printing black stuff.

nozzle%203_zpsdatasywc.jpg

I'm worried the printer could ruin this printhead too...

We have no assistance at all from the company who sold us the printer...as you can imagine.

We're waiting before buying another printhead, we need to know the real problem.

What do you think?

papabud

Lone Wolf
i would check your printer cable. it could have a very small break in one of the wires causing it to act up

papabud

Lone Wolf
did you check the ribbon cable in the machine. look for any slight damage. it doesn't take much at times. look at your connection ends. make sure the printhead is level.

Phoenicis

did you check the ribbon cable in the machine. look for any slight damage. it doesn't take much at times. look at your connection ends. make sure the printhead is level.

They looks good as you can see (first couple are on the PCB and the other couple are on the printhead):

5_zps9bmxlnnx.jpg

4_zpssrtu1tlo.jpg

Pitzu

Looks like the black channel driver has a problem. Could be an incorrect printhead voltage or a faulty electronic component (transistor, chip) on the main board.
This kind of problem it's hard to repair remotely.

Haw

Any news regarding this?

I have a similar issue like this on my eco-sol dx7 china printer. Never had any problems with it in two years of ownership. But it all started to show fuzzy cyan during print status the moment we relocated to our new warehouse. The technician is stumped as to what is causing this. They prepped & did everything right before relocating the printer. They have two thoeries; 1. AC power might be unreliable in our new space. But isn't that what AVRs are for? 2. Print head might be damaged. I want to triple check if this is really the problem as heads are expensive.

Anyway, they are sending a seasoned tech in a few days. Just want to ask around if you guys can share any ideas.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20180722_191419-01.jpeg
    20180722_191419-01.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,222

Phoenicis

No real news indeed.
Support from the producer is really vague and summary as usual...

Unfortunately now the printer stopped to work definitely.
It moves, goes up and down, software works fine but no ink at all from the printheads.

We tried installing the software on another PC with no result.

Now the program shows an error regarding a bad connection or a faulty printhead...so we don't know.
We checked all the connections again, cleaning the connectors with a contact cleaner (anyway, they were fine looking at it but who knows...)

We bhought new motherboards and flat connectors...
First thing to try will be to install those new components and see if the problem is only on the motherboards or also on the printheads.
Finger crossed.

zopylote

No real news indeed.
Support from the producer is really vague and summary as usual...

Unfortunately now the printer stopped to work definitely.
It moves, goes up and down, software works fine but no ink at all from the printheads.

We tried installing the software on another PC with no result.

Now the program shows an error regarding a bad connection or a faulty printhead...so we don't know.
We checked all the connections again, cleaning the connectors with a contact cleaner (anyway, they were fine looking at it but who knows...)

We bhought new motherboards and flat connectors...
First thing to try will be to install those new components and see if the problem is only on the motherboards or also on the printheads.
Finger crossed.

what brand is the printer?
check triacs on the main board and related capacitors... one triac or capacitor can be bad easy fix if you don't have experience with that send me and inbox i can help you free... i'm in houston tx... if your main board works you can pay if not nothing to pay!... cheers!