• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Street Sign Ideas

Happyprinter

I have a customer that would like us to produce 2 sided street signs on aluminum blanks. As this is our first time making street signs my question is what is the best way to produce the faces. We were either going to powder coat the blanks and then add white reflective lettering or put reflective black on the blanks and us white cut vinyl for the lettering. Anybody had experience with either method or possible another? What will work best?

J Hill Designs

I have a customer that would like us to produce 2 sided street signs on aluminum blanks. As this is our first time making street signs my question is what is the best way to produce the faces. We were either going to powder coat the blanks and then add white reflective lettering or put reflective black on the blanks and us white cut vinyl for the lettering. Anybody had experience with either method or possible another? What will work best?

if you go the reflective black way, make sure you DONT use reflective for the cut white, or it will just shine as a box at night (black reflective reflects white)

papabud

Lone Wolf
we dont do many street signs. but what we do is order sign blanks that are coated white.
then depending on the needs we either cover them in white reflective or not. then add black cut vinyl to them.
we dont use reflective black just so there is a good visible break in the reflective so people can read it at night

Happyprinter

Thank you for all the replies. Andy, normally I would buy pre-done signs but in this situation there is a special design added to the top that we had to route out to make the blanks.

Street Signs

All depends on DOT regulations in your area, All I do is street Signs For private communities in SW Florida, I use 3M White High Intensity Reflective Sheeting, with Overlay Material , Either Green, Blue , Check with your local Ordinances. Use .080 Aluminum...or you can buy blanks , I buy 4x8 sheets of aluminum , sheet them with reflective sheet then cut overlay material on Cutter...
Or buy them

Happyprinter

Thanks for all the replies. They have been very helpful. I contacted our State DOT and am working thru acceptable colors and sizes. Thanks again!