• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Street signs out of PVC

Jean Shimp

Has anyone had experience with making street name blades out of PVC? We have made some "test" signs that are about 6" x 36" x 1 1/2" (3/4" back to back) with raised letters and the background routed. There is a slight bow on the length after being outside for over a year. We have a few ideas on how to prevent the bowing but I'm not sure if this is a good idea in general to use PVC. We use it a lot and it holds up very well generally on rectangular signs. However, it does expand and contract. We typically use white or very light colors to minimize the movement.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If these are municipal signs, I think they must meet a certain code of .125 aluminum. If it's some gated community or development, use what has been proven...... .125 aluminum.

Usually the raised letters are embossed on the aluminum.

J Hill Designs

or if you are dead set on 1.5" depth you can affix each 3/4" PVC panel to each side of a 1/8" aluminum panel - might help with the bowing

tbullo

Superunknown
We have done a few apartment complex here with about what you described. We use Azek brand board when doing strips lie that, seems a little denser.

ams

Why in the world would you use PVC for a street sign? All street signs are aluminum and are either 0.80 or .125.
rigid PVC is not a good outdoor substrate.

tbullo

Superunknown
I think that not All street signs are metal. We have sandblasted redwood street signs and routed hdu street signs up all over our area for decades. Sure some are metal but not All.

Street Signs

As previously stated depends on Local Ordinances. DOT Traffic Rules must be met , unless in Private community (at least in florida) I make my own street signs, .080 Aluminum , White Reflective sheeting and Overlay Vinyl.