• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Stretching Problem Vinyl Laminate

Mando Juarez

SO we roll to roll print vinyl on a roland vsi540 then we laminate it with a roller laminator to give the magnet a certain look. we've noticed that during the lamination process the image stretches. usually this isn't a problem BUT since we're using a colex CNC and have registration marks. they are also stretched. so we cut the wrong size essentially. now I've made a template that's been helping. but does anyone know of a way to laminate without cause stretching? or any better laminators?

brdesign

How long are you waiting to laminate the vinyl to the magnets after it comes off the printer, some vinyls can get really stretchy on solvent printers until it's had enough time to air out. I had that issue with an older Roland 540 I used to use, prints with a rich black background would take a couple of days to gas out. Also does the software for the colex have any settings to compensate the cutlines for the registration marks being off?

unclebun

How are you actually stretching the print? Doesn't it have paper backer? That would mean you are stretching the paper. That doesn't work very well. Paper tears. Not stretches.

But if it's really stretching, the roller tension on the laminator is the problem. This is usually seen with the laminate vinyl itself, because the laminate runs a few inches in the air without being attached to paper.

Mando Juarez

thanks for all that replied. usually we wait a day or so before laminating. ill talk to my production manager about tension on the rolls. were laminating to 020 magnet so maybe it being thin doesn't help? also the colex doesn't have the option. I've seen consistently about a quarter inch stretch or so

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
thanks for all that replied. usually we wait a day or so before laminating. ill talk to my production manager about tension on the rolls. were laminating to 020 magnet so maybe it being thin doesn't help? also the colex doesn't have the option. I've seen consistently about a quarter inch stretch or so
You shoudl double check your camera calibration settings. Your Colex Cut Center or Optiscout should have multiple registration compensation factors in the output menu for favoring the distortion or the actual shape and size of the output file. These are stock options. Outside of the tensioning issues that can be worked on, this should help.

Funny cuz when I apply vinyl to ACM manually it always gets stretched no matter how gentle I am but when I apply it with the roller laminator it's always perfect. The cheapest option is to try getting someone to show you how to properly do it

Mando Juarez

You shoudl double check your camera calibration settings. Your Colex Cut Center or Optiscout should have multiple registration compensation factors in the output menu for favoring the distortion or the actual shape and size of the output file. These are stock options. Outside of the tensioning issues that can be worked on, this should help.
WHAT! we had poor training for sure ! ill check it out!

Mando Juarez

i never use the direct output as a preference. post a picture of your output setting to production and maybe ill recognize the setting category.

Attachments

• AA025814-0C17-4DAF-9ACD-7E26C617A753.jpeg
    AA025814-0C17-4DAF-9ACD-7E26C617A753.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 177

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
i would browse what's in the
- Production mode
- Mark Setting
- Compensation Method.
I would still calibrate the camera and that info is on their website for registered users.

way back from icut
Full comp - favors distortions for something to look like it was supposed to
Placement - favors the design for something to be the actual size of the designed shape.
so i would double check your documentation and to ask for some additional information on their website.

Mando Juarez

i would browse what's in the
- Production mode
- Mark Setting
- Compensation Method.
I would still calibrate the camera and that info is on their website for registered users.

way back from icut
Full comp - favors distortions for something to look like it was supposed to
Placement - favors the design for something to be the actual size of the designed shape.
so i would double check your documentation and to ask for some additional information on their website.

usually I have Horrible luck with their tech support.
they told me once that you can't move dynamic bridges.. but I literally inserted a bridge.. too credibility shot ha

Roper1967

Check your print size before lamination. I've never had a print stretch during lamination. Even if your backing paper is pulled back on the laminate to far and its allowed to stretch especially with heat on. The laminate its not going to stretch your print. It may make it curl, but not going to stretch . Now you can stretch them during application.

Print1

Tech for your cutter, printer & logistics needs
This is a valid question, Run sample without lam, then again with lam and compare the stretch, You can adjust your job accordingly from that point.

SO we roll to roll print vinyl on a roland vsi540 then we laminate it with a roller laminator to give the magnet a certain look. we've noticed that during the lamination process the image stretches. usually this isn't a problem BUT since we're using a colex CNC and have registration marks. they are also stretched. so we cut the wrong size essentially. now I've made a template that's been helping. but does anyone know of a way to laminate without cause stretching? or any better laminators?