• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stud Welder Equipment Question

SfSD

I have a project requiring studs welded on the back of a sheet of Aluminum in a monument sign. I have no idea what machines are out there and how to know a good one from a bad one. Who has a stud welder, what type did you get and are you happy with it???

Johnny Best

There is a challenge to arc welding aluminum and a steep learning curve. I would find someone in your area that does this sort of thing and have them do it for you.

hcardwell93

If it was my project I would have it TIG welded. TIG will give the penetration needed while controlling the heat so the sheet doesn't warp.

SfSD

There is a challenge to arc welding aluminum and a steep learning curve. I would find someone in your area that does this sort of thing and have them do it for you.
I already do Arc, Tig, Mig and Mig Al, and use acetylene for cutting. I want to add stud welding (so finding somebody else is probably great advice, but does not fit this situation) I appreciate the effort

signbrad

This is the one we now have. Linx 4 Modular. It's awesome. Our old one became unreliable and misfired often, resulting in studs that were not really welded.
The Linx 4 welds studs up to 5/16-inch. I think it also stud-welds deep threaded nuts. And I believe it works on 120V and 240V.
Anybody can operate one. You just insert a stud into the nose of the gun, press to the workpiece, and pull the trigger.
I don't remember the price, but we got a good discount by buying it at a sign show.

You can buy cheapies at Harbor Freight for a couple hundred dollars. I don't know if they work well or not, but I think they are more for dent pulling.
They are probably not suitable for sign shop work, but the Linx 4 works great.