• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Studded dimensional letter to wood sign, what Adhesive?

Andy D

My customer has an existing wooden monument sign that they refinished & I'm installing 1/4" aluminum & 1/2 acrylic letters and logos. I was looking into getting lords adhesive with a gun, but would rather use something I can buy local if I can.

Any suggestions?

2B

You list "studded" are these flat mount or extension mounted?
If flat, Lexel & VBS both should ba availalbe at any big box store.
Lexel does take some time to fully cure and you need some added support in that time, once cured strong bond that has some flex since this is wood

Andy D

You list "studded" are these flat mount or extension mounted?
If flat, Lexel & VBS both should ba availalbe at any big box store.
Lexel does take some time to fully cure and you need some added support in that time, once cured strong bond that has some flex since this is wood

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have time to order in VBS tape, is there a type you like in particular?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're literally trying to bond aluminum and actyrlic letters to paint. The wood, at this point, has nothing to do with it. It would behoove you to find out what kinda paint was used and it's properties and what glues, tapes, etc will adhere properly and hold to their paint.

unclebun

If you're drilling holes for the studs and inserting the letters, silicone is plenty to hold the letters.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Agreed, silicone is plenty.

You'll need to drill the holes a smidge larger than you would normally drill in drywall.

signbrad

I agree with Moze and unclebun. Use silicone and a stud mount. Lord will get too hard and may cause a problem with materials having such differing expansion rates. A soft glue and oversize holes are called for.

Brad in Kansas City

Sandman

Stud with silicone in drilled holes all the way. If you have to make a pattern for new holes, take 5 studs, cut them short, then sharpen the cut end to a point. Pen plot your letters for proper kerning, put a piece of cardboard underneath, screw the pointed studs to the letters, align and push. Circle the holes with a Sharpie so you don't miss any when drilling.