Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stumped by a serif font

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by The Vector Doctor, Jul 5, 2012.

1. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    I thought I could figure this one out but had no luck at wtf or whatfontis either

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    No match here Eric. Alinea is somewhat similar.

3. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    DaunPenh

Actually, this serif face is the default face used for the Latin characters of several Microsoft System fonts that are primarily present to display other character sets such as Asian or Arabic.

Two other fonts on my system (Win7-64) that show the same letterforms are Arabic Typesetting and Microsoft Uighur...

In the same way that Arial is a scribbly copy of Helvetica, this looks to be a "MS-ized" copy of Minnion...

4. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Awesome Old Goat.... are you Tiki in disguise? Never have heard or seen that font before in my life.

5. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    Heh, heh... Thanks for the huge compliment, Eric, but the credit really goes to FindMyFont...

I knew I had seen this font before (missing serif on the middle stroke of the E), and I was sure I had it, but I would have never thought to consider the Latin fill-in characters used in the system fonts that MS supplies for Asian and Arabic character sets. Find My Font does this effortlessly and also twigged me on to the fact they were system fonts as FMF show the top 3 matches -- which are all identical -- to be the three system fonts I named in the previous post.

6. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Ah ok. I have some oddball Asian fonts on my Mac that show up as weird/unique sans/serif fonts too when typed on an american keyboard