• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Subdivision Monument Signs

Nstep007

Hey guys! I kinda new to the forum. Although I've lerked for a long time. I'm wanting to get into business signage, subdivision entrance signs etc. Wood, foam pretty much. I have 2 Cnc routers and up until now, I have just been doing small jobs and craft shows.

As driving around recently, I notice more and more business either needing signage, or needing there signs replaced. I have a small warehouse/shop, it's not really a store front.

But how would a new guy like myself go about drumming up new business? Leave a detailed quote at the door? Who is the contact for subdivision signs? I'm sure it's someone at the home owner association, but how do you find them?

Also on pricing, i know it's been asked a gazillion times... but is there a rule of thumb? I want to be competitive, but I don't want to work for free.

Any advice would me MUCH appreciated

AKwrapguy

Hey guys! I kinda new to the forum. Although I've lerked for a long time. I'm wanting to get into business signage, subdivision entrance signs etc. Wood, foam pretty much. I have 2 Cnc routers and up until now, I have just been doing small jobs and craft shows.

As driving around recently, I notice more and more business either needing signage, or needing there signs replaced. I have a small warehouse/shop, it's not really a store front.

But how would a new guy like myself go about drumming up new business? Leave a detailed quote at the door? Who is the contact for subdivision signs? I'm sure it's someone at the home owner association, but how do you find them?

Also on pricing, i know it's been asked a gazillion times... but is there a rule of thumb? I want to be competitive, but I don't want to work for free.

Any advice would me MUCH appreciated

Well first welcome and good luck.

Most sub-divisions will have some sort of over seeing board or HOA organization that is responsible for handling contracts and services. You could try to figure that out, but that is often something that they put out to bid, so you would be better off to see if they some type of list you can be put onto to get notices.

Corporate business often deal with one company and they than sub-contract local guys.

Local business you just need to get in contact with the owner/manager that can make decisions.

As far as pricing, that's up to you. You could call local competition to see what their pricing is and be in that range. I would avoid coming in and undercutting the market as that doesn't work out for anyone. There are guys on here that can probably help with general markup for this market but I would guess no less than 20-30%, but probably more.

Nstep007

Well first welcome and good luck.

Most sub-divisions will have some sort of over seeing board or HOA organization that is responsible for handling contracts and services. You could try to figure that out, but that is often something that they put out to bid, so you would be better off to see if they some type of list you can be put onto to get notices.

Corporate business often deal with one company and they than sub-contract local guys.

Local business you just need to get in contact with the owner/manager that can make decisions.

As far as pricing, that's up to you. You could call local competition to see what their pricing is and be in that range. I would avoid coming in and undercutting the market as that doesn't work out for anyone. There are guys on here that can probably help with general markup for this market but I would guess no less than 20-30%, but probably more.
Thanks man. Very helpful
And the signs I'm seeing that need replaced are wood sandblast signs. And the subdivisions are fairly new. So it does t seem they chomp at the bit to get them done. That's where I feel making a contact would help me

visual800

HOA! I love seeing subdivision signs that need updating or simply were done "cheaply" by the home builders. I attached one that went after in a friends subdivision. The had flat aluminum signs with gold vinyl (builder signs) gag me. Island sign is hanging by a silver chain.......somedays i could kill homebuilders for crap like this, lack of caring is all that is, cheap and quick

Attachments

• pendlebrook [Converted].jpg
    pendlebrook [Converted].jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 303

Nstep007

How did you go about finding who was in charge of the HOA? And also, when it a new subdivioson, who is the contact for that?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Our speciality is residential/business complex signs (design only) Can you do more than wood and foam?

Nstep007

yeah, well if all you do is wood and foam, then you will be pissing away time dealing with HOA's instead of management companies... management companies are the people you deal with if you can make more than just basic monuments...
What do you mean? 90% of what I see is sandblasted wood signs. Now I can do the aluminum cut outs too. But nothing electrical

visual800

I would use facebook or the next door app to find who is in charge of the HOA. on new construction you need to go to the builder (good luck on that) or try and find the main realtor they will lead you in the right direction

equippaint

You have to get out and hunt these people down, its called sales. Relentlessly asking everyone in a forum will not bring these people to your doorstep.
Furthermore, if you think the builders are cheap, wait until you talk to the HOA. Its a group of people with too much time on their hands and a real poor concept of what things actually cost.

Nstep007

If you couldn't tell... I'm trying to hunt these people down... in just asking for tips where to start without knocking door to door

equippaint

If you couldn't tell... I'm trying to hunt these people down... in just asking for tips where to start without knocking door to door
That was a tip, Heres another: you wont get anywhere if you dont start going door to door. If youre too scared then pay someone who isn't.

There is no magical answer like you think.

Bigdawg

Just Me
There is no going door to door for HOA customers - you have to know who you are targeting before you can start knocking. My advice is to start networking with trade groups. Look for a local CAI branch. Join a Builders' group. Look for associations that include property managers in their make-up. This is what our business focuses on - but be prepared. If you want to do the big jobs for an HOA or property manager, you have to be willing to do the little pool signs or other jobs they need to. They definitely want one-stop shopping.

equippaint

There is no going door to door for HOA customers - you have to know who you are targeting before you can start knocking. .
That's not true (except the door to door solicitation) but going door to door in the actual neighborhood is not needed at all. If someone really wants the business they have to be able to figure out a way in and that they wont do that sitting here.
Go see the landscape crews foreman and ask him for his site contact. Maybe a maintenance guy working in the front. Find a house for sale and act like you want to buy it then tell the realtor that you are nervous about HOAs and would like to speak with the management co or president before moving forward. If you actually went out there and tried, you would figure this stuff out.

Nstep007

That was a tip, Heres another: you wont get anywhere if you dont start going door to door. If youre too scared then pay someone who isn't.

There is no magical answer like you think.
Magical answer? I'm not scared to do anything... nor am I looking for a magical answer. I'm simply looking for tips, ideas. Any info I can gather. I guess you must think your advice is too good to help someone. Only a ignorant person would think I'm looking for a magical answer....