• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sublimation on cotton

reklamdizains

Hi,
I' ve bought epson s22+ sublimation ciss system.
I have heard, that sublimation is possible only on polyester, but is there possibility to sublimate on 100% cotton t-shirts?
Are there any transfer papers?
Sublimation paper-->heat transfer paper--> heat transfer sublimated paper on t-shirt?
Can you suggest something?

WildWestDesigns

Hi,
I' ve bought epson s22+ sublimation ciss system.
I have heard, that sublimation is possible only on polyester, but is there possibility to sublimate on 100% cotton t-shirts?
Are there any transfer papers?
Sublimation paper-->heat transfer paper--> heat transfer sublimated paper on t-shirt?
Can you suggest something?

There are transfer papers, but the reaction that sublimation ink needs to work properly can only happen with synthetic fibers, not natural. So cotton is a no go.

In all honesty, to me the new poly shirts are really comfortable compared to cotton and sublimation is about the only decorating process that you don't have to worry about the wash unless you use bleach or Tide (been known to be harsh on decorated shirts). Unfortunately, the cost of poly shirts is more then cotton in most instances.

reklamdizains

Thank you for your reply :)
And what about cotton t-shirts with, about 20% synthetic fibers like elastan? are they suitable for sublimation?

There are transfer papers, but the reaction that sublimation ink needs to work properly can only happen with synthetic fibers, not natural. So cotton is a no go.

In all honesty, to me the new poly shirts are really comfortable compared to cotton and sublimation is about the only decorating process that you don't have to worry about the wash unless you use bleach or Tide (been known to be harsh on decorated shirts). Unfortunately, the cost of poly shirts is more then cotton in most instances.

WildWestDesigns

Thank you for your reply :)
And what about cotton t-shirts with, about 20% synthetic fibers like elastan? are they suitable for sublimation?

Not really. You'll get some image to bond, but not much. It will look really washed out. It really it needs to be 100% synthetic to get the best results.

CES020

50/50 will look great when pressed. Once washed, 50% of it will go down the drain because it's not bonded.

WildWestDesigns

And what about ink activators?
Man question is about- how to get photography on t-shirt..

Sublimation will work for getting pictures on the shirt.

Now with sublimation the one thing that you have to realize is that because it's a dye process, depending on the light color of your shirt, there is a potential for blending of the colors of your picture with the color of the shirt. Not so much an issue with a pure white shirt, but if you start using other light colors, you could have that issue.

So color management is a concern with other light colors and the color(s) of your image.

reklamdizains

But with jpeg pictures on cotton t-shirts? Impossible, huh..

Sublimation will work for getting pictures on the shirt.

Now with sublimation the one thing that you have to realize is that because it's a dye process, depending on the light color of your shirt, there is a potential for blending of the colors of your picture with the color of the shirt. Not so much an issue with a pure white shirt, but if you start using other light colors, you could have that issue.

So color management is a concern with other light colors and the color(s) of your image.

WildWestDesigns

I believe Hanes makes a white cotton shirt that is coated for sublimation printing/transfers.

First I'm hearing of that. I will have to look into it.

The only concern that I would right off the bat would be the coating and how consistent that it is, because that's going to be the deciding factor on how good the print comes out.

We all know that all shirts don't turn out exactly the same from the same company even in the same lot. I would be concerned just how much the variance is in that regard toward the coating of the shirt.

Fabric is a fickle beast.

CES020

I think that's the Haynes Softlink. They are discontinuing that, I believe. It was a cotton on the inside and poly on the outside, so it was soft, but gave the poly on the outside for dye sub, so it wasn't a coating, it was actually spun into the fabric.

I think Dye Sub is the wrong method for what you want to do. You can do it, on Vapor apparel, but they are expensive when it comes to comparing them to real shirts. In the end, you'll spend a lot of time and make no money.

WildWestDesigns

I think Dye Sub is the wrong method for what you want to do. You can do it, on Vapor apparel, but they are expensive when it comes to comparing them to real shirts. In the end, you'll spend a lot of time and make no money.

As far as I know, Vapor Apparel are real shirts.

They are also one of the cheaper ones that you can get that are 100% poly based, and the quality is quite good.

I hate regular heat transfers, I would say that dye sub would be the better method unless you go DTG, but even that has it's draw backs.

As to how much you make off them. Debatable. I can get good profit margins off them as long as the customer is educated about the product. However, that is the key thing.

Dakotagrafx

There is a transfer paper to use sublimation on cotton I checked out at the nbm show this year, it is expensive and does leave a coating on the shirt that the ink actually adheres too. it would be far cheaper to just use a proper technique like jpss with pigment ink or DTS. but if you are determined to use the sublimation ink here is the info: http://www.digitalheatfx.com/