• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Substrate ID

psbc2009

Can anyone ID the attached photos of 1/2 inch substrate? It is very lightweight and has what looks like a foam center, although you cannot push your nail into it - very hard. Looks like the outer shell is some type of polystyrene or plastic coating that is laminated to the foam center. The customer had this on their building for years so it holds up outdoors.
I talked to a rep at Harbor and thought it was Ultra-Board but that foam center you can push in with your finger.
Thanks. 20171114_142752.jpg 20171114_142837.jpg

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Hmmm, got me on that one, but while we are trying to identify basic sign material can you help me with this one?

Seems like a thin PVC substance with glue on the back.... Anyone??

images.jpg

henryz

It's black PVC - Sintra / Komatex / Palram. Your local sign supplier should have a ton of samples of many material they have or can get for you, that will make it easier to ID substrates in the future.

Billct2

The first looks like a version of PVC, there are or were some that had a top layer that was more finished/shiny.
Ddarlaks looks kinda like Gerber lexedge, but it's not adhesive back and comes clear or white and has to be printed.

visual800

that is ji\ust black pvc, sintra. Ive used that before and it sucks outside! I am not kidding we bought this a few years ago and they told us it was for exterior. Brought it to shop and laid it outside on worktable and the damn thing bowed like an upside down rainbow in a matter of minutes, it was actually impressive. Never touched that crap again! But interior should be fine

MikePro

not HDU, not Gatorfoam. both are soft & porous, can push a penny through them so you can definitely push a nail through them as well.
that's definitely expanded PVC, like sintra/koma/etc brands carry.

the shininess leads me to believe it is some form of exterior-grade, because if it was your standard black sintra.... it would be dull, and have turned a chalky-grey color by now.

Johnny Best

There is a product named Marineboard which is like Starboard but cheaper and it is a HDPE substrate that can be used outside. I like using Starboard better, which will not break down outside as others have mentioned.

MikePro

yeah, HDPE rocks! perfect for outdoors.
also noted, that it won't accept anything but motorcross high-tack vinyl & requires flame-prepping the surface. if that's any part of your plan.