• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Suggestions for an ADA Printer

dstt9901

I'm looking for suggestions on an ADA printer.

Right now I'm looking at either a Digital Color Systems 1800BG or a Mutoh 661 UF. Basically anyone who has experience with either if they're willing to endorse.

I know people who have DCS printers and have had success with them, and I just spoke with a guy who gave some extremely positive reviews on the Mutoh. I'm waiting for samples of the Mutoh because I just learned about this machine.

Endorsements either way would be helpful, or if you have experience with a difference machine, I'll be happy to hear that too. I want to be able to hit the ground running on whatever we get, and while samples and price are ultimately going to guide us in the decision, they don't tell me about how the machine will handle real-world demand (speed, downtime, reliability, quality, general PITA factors of the machine), and I have enough printers that give me a headache.

Thanks.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
We had a demo at Mutoh last month with a 661 UF. Impressive. Mutoh typically makes some quality machines and this one was no different. The ink set they are using has amazing adhesion. The customization they have created for Flexisign includes all of the different setups you will need to quickly set up print files for different applications. We printed on a number of different materials and didn't have any adhesion issues. They even kept some of our specialized substrates and did some samples for us as well. Overall I think it is something we will be purchasing this year. We fabricate all of our ADA signs via engraver and raster braille currently and this will replace some of that work. Using an engraver and applying Rowmark type ADA letters will always create a cleaner look than printing. The prints aren't perfectly smooth and flat compared to typical Rowmark material so there will be some customers that will request a traditional sign. Also had a great experience with the tech people during and after our demo, good people.

dstt9901

Thanks for all this. Especially on the adhesion as I think many of our applications will be on tougher to use materials such as untreated metals. I'm discussing some of this with a rep. This will be the first machine we'll be getting for ADA usage and I'm trying to stay out of the engraver realm.

StarSign

We have a DCS, some days I love it other times I want to toss it in the trash. You are looking at apples vs oranges when you talk about "printed" ADA signs vs tactile and raster braille. I haven't seen the Mutoh run but speed is always an issue as well. We use our DCS ADA signs for more of a outdoor application.