• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions for how to tackle a long horizontal wrap

TimToad

We have an install job to do for a client who supplied his own graphics and part of it is a 24" x 20' stripe with a pattern and text printed into it going on each side of a Mercedes Sprinter. The supplier of the graphics didn't send panels with overlaps like we expected, they sent two long rolls of the print.

Should we tape them up, cut them at the door and body seams into more manageable sized pieces and tackle them one by one?

If we had done the printing, we wouldn't care if we had to redo a panel or not, but we have no margin for error now. There aren't really any major contour changes to worry about except the door handles and part of the wheel wells, but we're kind of nervous about not having any wiggle room in case we botch one.

Any tips or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

attachment.php

Attachments

• LUNA van side.jpg
    LUNA van side.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 127

Carpeburger

Personally, I would tape it up where you you want it and hinge in the middle. Make sure it's secure and lays flat. What I do on long pieces is every 2 or 3 feet I put a piece of tape, half on the print and half on the vehicle and lightly score the tape at the edge of the print. This provides you with an indicator if you happen to run off and need to reposition. I prefer this to a grease pencil because a squeegee won't rub the tape off.

As as long as the tape lines up you're good to go!

TimToad

Thanks a lot. That is how I've done other similar but not as long of runs before. Its kind of intimidating to stare down the length of this nearly 20' long chunk of vinyl and think about how best to line up the top edge nice and evenly, but your idea sounds like as solid of plan as any we've come up with here. I like the tape reference points instead of Stabilo marks.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Another way to go is to place the top edge exactly where it needs to be and tape the entire top edge from front to back with 2"masking tape so it can't move.
Leave the bottom free so you can lift it up to get to the liner.
Start at one end and roll the backer down away from the top edge at about 45 degree angle squeegeeing down the exposed material as you go.
Did this for a 40ft Vanhool bus with a single horizontal seam per side and it worked well.
I'd also pop those door handles off - (I think it is a single screw behind a plug).
If the material does not have air release channels you could do it wet as a last resort - pretty much foolproof with a second set of hands helping.

wayne k
guam usa