• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions For Replacing Sign

Pideas

I need some advice on changing out the face of this sign. The size is roughly 2ft x 8ft. I want to go with a full color face instead of individual vinyl lettering. Any suggestions on type of substrate and media to use?

sign3.jpg

Attachments

• sign4.jpg
    927.2 KB · Views: 108

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Printed graphics applied to acrylic, 3/16" thick. There are lots of ways to produce. Someone posted a link to 3M's recommended method about a month or two ago- it's a very good guideline.

Pideas

For the printed graphics, are you referring to something like a backlit film with laminate?

The 3/16" acrylic is what i was thinking of too. Wasn't sure if acrylic or polycarbonate would work better. Thanks.

3SixtySigns

I'd use a 3mm polycarbonate from grimco and a oracal calandered translucent print media with compatible overlaminate. I'd also look to replace UV tubes and retro fit with LED as they are cooler and brighter. Will also stop the heat vacuum.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
For the printed graphics, are you referring to something like a backlit film with laminate?

The 3/16" acrylic is what i was thinking of too. Wasn't sure if acrylic or polycarbonate would work better. Thanks.
For the size, polycarbonate is overkill- in my opinion. If the customer will go for the price, though- why not?

visual800

3 mill acrylic (be very careful with this stuff) and digitally printed graphics on clear, if its alot of detail. Use the top end vinyl.
If you were more experience i would try and remove tattoos and just use the panel its on, those letters should come off pretty easy.

Pideas

Thanks for all the input. I'm a newbie at this type of signage. The acrylic and polycarbonate seem to be about the same in price. I'm hoping I can print the media on my HP Latex and then laminate. Once laminated, I would mounted to acrylic.

MikePro

upsell them on polycarbonate (lexan/makrolon). 2x8 is small by comparison to where I would say its absolutely necessary to upgrade acrylic to polycarb, but indestructable is always a great quality for sign mfg./warranty.

besides, i bet that face has a lot of wiggle-room inside that cabinet, acrylic still could shatter in a cold-windy winter storm.

henryz

The size is fine for acrylic unless you drop it, we print translucent film with HP, 2 layer print - there was a discussion about a few months like someone said earlier. We print white / clear then lam. 1st surface application, or if you want second surface you can print double layer clear and apply white trans vinyl behind.

0igo

3 mill acrylic (be very careful with this stuff) and digitally printed graphics on clear, if its alot of detail. Use the top end vinyl.
If you were more experience i would try and remove tattoos and just use the panel its on, those letters should come off pretty easy.
how do you get rid of the yellowing from sun damage?

visual800

how do you get rid of the yellowing from sun damage?

I have buffed out faces before using a buffer and some cutting paste, believe it or not it comes out a lot better than original. Now keep in mind I already owned a buffer and the paste, I would run out and buy this stuff for this one job

ams

3/16" Polycarbonate with a Printed/Laminated Translucent vinyl, then you are good to go.