• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions for Temp / Short-Term Vinyl For HP360

OhioSigns

Just curious what everyone has had luck with for cheaper vinyls on their HP 360 for doing short -term / temporary signage. I have been using Avery MPI 3303 for a while and always seem to have problems with the vinyl warping and causing a headstrike. I've changed and adjusted just about everything from heat, optimizer levels, interpass delays, etc. and am just ready to change vinyls. Want to see what other vinyls are out there that seem to work well with the 360. It doesn't seem to matter what I do.... can't get it to print consistantly without having to reprint due to headstrikes. I mainly print on 3M 40C, 3M IJ180CV3, Forward Banner and Oracal 3651 clear and never have isssues other than the Avery MPI 3303. Looking for something that will print consistently without any issues in the ~$0.20 SQFT range. Anybody with experience with Orajet 3640/3641/3164, Arlon 510, General Formulations Concept 204, Briteline IM2201/2203 etc..... on the 360?

dypinc

You need to use the vinyl with heavier release liner, 90#. GF listed the 204 with 90# Layflat liner. Don't know why they still use 70# on the 214.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Many vinyls will work great in that unit, Grimco has a good material, so does just about all the major companies. I have some great ones as well if you don't have any luck let me know.

dypinc

Just checked prices and GF 201 or 203 will get you in the .20 SQFT range. I use them all the time. work fine in the L360.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Have switched to Grimco’s Briteline 3203x intermediate for everyday stuff. Love it. Prints well, has a heavy liner that releases easily, and is reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lea Marc

We use Orafol 3640 all the time and never have issues really. We tried using Mactac and Avery but the Orafol is also a bit easier to work with in finishing.

SFS Production

Production Manager
Just curious what everyone has had luck with for cheaper vinyls on their HP 360 for doing short -term / temporary signage. I have been using Avery MPI 3303 for a while and always seem to have problems with the vinyl warping and causing a headstrike. I've changed and adjusted just about everything from heat, optimizer levels, interpass delays, etc. and am just ready to change vinyls. Want to see what other vinyls are out there that seem to work well with the 360. It doesn't seem to matter what I do.... can't get it to print consistantly without having to reprint due to headstrikes. I mainly print on 3M 40C, 3M IJ180CV3, Forward Banner and Oracal 3651 clear and never have isssues other than the Avery MPI 3303. Looking for something that will print consistently without any issues in the ~$0.20 SQFT range. Anybody with experience with Orajet 3640/3641/3164, Arlon 510, General Formulations Concept 204, Briteline IM2201/2203 etc..... on the 360?
3M IJ35c10 all the way

Brandon708

For everyday stuff I use IJ35c-10 ($220 a roll) and love it. I use it for real estate signs and most signs that need to be outdoors for several years. On the other hand for temp signs like coroplast yard signs I started using the Briteline IM2203 ($125 a roll) and it was working okay but I've had several head strikes which I had to replace a few printheads because of it. It seems to wrinkle and the backing paper seems to rigid or thick. I just ordered a roll of Orajet 3641 ($120 a roll) and hope that works out well for the temp signage.

OhioSigns

For everyday stuff I use IJ35c-10 ($220 a roll) and love it. I use it for real estate signs and most signs that need to be outdoors for several years. On the other hand for temp signs like coroplast yard signs I started using the Briteline IM2203 ($125 a roll) and it was working okay but I've had several head strikes which I had to replace a few printheads because of it. It seems to wrinkle and the backing paper seems to rigid or thick. I just ordered a roll of Orajet 3641 ($120 a roll) and hope that works out well for the temp signage.

Since this thread has started I have switched to Arlon DPF 510GT and have ran through 10+ rolls of it and have had good luck with it. Very, very rarely will I get a head strike. It's $0.17 a square foot and what I use on coroplast / temporary signage. I had bad luck with the Briteline also. I switched from IJ35 to 40C as my go-to everyday film a couple of years ago, both of which would be overkill for temporary stuff.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Since this thread has started I have switched to Arlon DPF 510GT and have ran through 10+ rolls of it and have had good luck with it. Very, very rarely will I get a head strike. It's $0.17 a square foot and what I use on coroplast / temporary signage. I had bad luck with the Briteline also. I switched from IJ35 to 40C as my go-to everyday film a couple of years ago, both of which would be overkill for temporary stuff.

Timothy Mitchell at HP has endorsed the Arlon 510 as a great solution for Calendared vinyl through the 3 series Latex. I have had another vendor tell me that has shrinkage issues over time though. Have you experienced anything like this? I'd like to switch to it but hesitant. Thanks

JHeard

I know Briteline products seem to be hit and miss, but I absolutely love Briteline Duration X - IM3201X & IM3203X. I'm running a HP Latex and have never had a head strike with it and it's super quick to apply.

On the other hand, Arlon DPF 4500GT was the worst thing I have ever touched IMHO. I will be waiting quite a while if I ever get another Arlon product.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Timothy Mitchell at HP has endorsed the Arlon 510 as a great solution for Calendared vinyl through the 3 series Latex. I have had another vendor tell me that has shrinkage issues over time though. Have you experienced anything like this? I'd like to switch to it but hesitant. Thanks
We are on Roll 400 of Arlon DPF510MT and I have not had much more than 1/16" of shrinkage on anything in 4 years of use.

Brandon708

Used some of the Oracal 3641 and it prints great. Nice gloss finish and the liner is really nice quality too. Much better product than the Brightline. Its also available in a 50" roll. Less waste since we mostly use this for 4x8s of coroplast.

Kelcy Deeds

No problem, Laminate is key though... we use 3M 8048 for nearly everything but wraps and its an amazing product. Hopefully 3M doesn't go a screw it up.
Hey, i know this is an old thread but im wondering how the 8048 has been working for you? Im torn between using the Briteline High performance lam and the 8048G. I love the shine and the look of the 8048 and its nice and thin and reminds me of the more expensive laminates but im kinda thrown off by the "4year" durability of it. meanwhile the briteline stuff states 7 year and its about the same price and slightly cheaper sometimes if you find it on discount. I like everything about the 8048 more but its that durability thats got me buying the briteline. Im just wondering if briteline is throwing bogus numbers meanwhile 3m is stating more accurate numbers. Using this for stuff that i wanna advertise as a 5 year flat sign vinyl

Christian @ 2CT Media

8048 is still our go too! We are working on a deal to completely replace it with a cast film for the same amount but as of now it has been our tried and true multipurpose laminate.

When it comes to making promises of Longevity, my personal opinion is I wouldn't. You will leave yourself up to a lot of issues if your client is diligent about tracking their products life.