• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions on how to get an "eagle's eye" view of all your fonts?

Big EZ Signs LLC

I have to admit, I get a headache when it comes to picking fonts. I've got probably a few hundred fonts on the PC, and it makes I head hurt when it comes to picking one. Does anyone have a "at a glance" way of looking at all their fonts, breaking them down by similarity, something?

I got my font wall poster from Gemini, and I thought that was bang up fabulous, but I'm wondering if there is some software based way of looking at them all.

And please don't suggest Adobe Suitcase. Either I'm too stupid to figure it out, or it hates me. It only seems to display the font familys, and that's too many!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The problem with looking at font character set displays, whether a poster, in a book or on screen is that it isn't showing you just the text string you want to use for selecting the font.

My preference is to use a font manager like Bitstream Font Navigator or Typograf so that I can type in the text and then view that text in whatever fonts I want to browse on my computer. Both these applications, and a number of others, will allow you to browse fonts that are either installed or not installed.

BTW, Gemini's wall posters are designed for selecting among the fonts they offer and won't match up to well to the fonts you have inhouse. BTW2, Adobe has nothing to do with Suitcase which is published by Extensis.

Here's a screen shot of Typograf.

Attachments

• typograf.jpg
    typograf.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 212

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, does that program have the ability to organize our fonts by categories such as:

Scripts,
Classy,
Funny,
Childlike,

Etc?

Not automatically but it makes doing it manually pretty efficient. Just right click on each font and copy it to a folder bearing the name of how you want to classify it.

GK

Extensis Suitcase Fusion for Mac or Extensis Suitcase for Windows. If you are running PC's then FontExpert 2007 is another great program.

Marlene

are you using a sign program? I use Omega and can break out my fonts by style and take a look at them in font manager or I can type in a word and scoll down thru all my installed fonts to see what the word looks like in different fonts. Not sure if other types of sign programs have this but they might have something that is a lot like it.

Pat Whatley

Ahhh...the good old days....15 Gerber IVB font cards to choose from...all 15 character sets drawn out and stuck to the wall behind the big blue monster.

petepaz

not the easiest but i would on my free time(when i used to get free time)
type the abc... numbers and characters then change to each font and fill 8.5 x 11 sheet and print and every day or so do a new sheet
just gives a small catalog of your fonts but when i started doing this i only had about 50 fonts
not sure this is the best way any more

Big EZ Signs LLC

No comment on my sign program.

I can scroll through individual fonts, and alter what the selected text using Photoshop. What I was looking for, and what Fred has graciously provided, is a way to see multiple font families at a glance.

Thanks!

high impact

oop...

Just found it, $35 and available at many places for a download and registration key. I like it...I'm gonna go buy it!