• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Suitable Media for HP L25500

VFT

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hi and ask what everyone recommended for media on the HP L25500. I'm not new to printing, but I am new to latex. I haven't had a large demand for printed graphics so up until now I have done all of my signs and banners the old school way with vinyl and my cutter. I recently have been asked to do a few things that just plain can't be done old school or it just isn't practical for, so I bit the bullet and picked up a 60" L25500. I know what type of media I would need to use on each job, but I'm not sure what brand. There are so many options and I can't seem to find a lot of information on it. I was hoping that someone could recommend something for me. I'm in need of mesh banner material, gloss banner material preferably a 13 oz or close to that and a permanent adhesive vinyl that will be applied to coroplast. I would appreciate any tips, tricks or advice that anyone has so offer getting started with this.

AF

Why don’t you tell us what media you have or want to use so people can give you their thoughts?

Grafix

I’ve moved up from a 25500 to 26500 and now a 360. I’ve used Oracal, 3m and Avery plus other specialties.
My go to is
Cars - Avery 1105
5yr - Avery 2105
Short term - any budget vinyl
Murals - Oracal 3628 or Phototex
Windows- Neschen Ultra clear grip

• Agree
Reactions: VFT

dale911

President
I started printing on a L25500 and I still have it. It is an extremely versatile printer that doesn’t really care much about what you shove through it. Problem media’s have only been cheap, non curl vinyls (like PET but the knock off brands) and I had an 18oz Heytex banner that had plasticizer migration really bad due to heat. Alumagraphics and fabrics always need a leader of vinyl or banner attached to load it. I have printed directly on regular cheap cut vinyl all the way up to wrap vinyl from Avery. I really like Grimco’s Forward Banner for it’s price and the way it prints well on the machine.

I know this machine is on its way out but it’s not hard to deal with problems on it and it prints great images. If you need Onyx profiles or have questions, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I've found some cheap media blisters at the backing paper, due to the extra curing heat in the 25500.
Go with something that works, and stay with it- don't be too cheap!
Printing on flag polyester was lovely.

Alternately, ASK your supliers if their media is OK for latex, that way if it is not, you have the option for a refund, because they said it was...

• Agree
Reactions: VFT

VFT

Why don’t you tell us what media you have or want to use so people can give you their thoughts?
Hi, I have zero media at this moment. Media is expensive and I didn't want to purchase just anything. I wanted something that was going to help create a quality product. I have been running oracal 651 through it just to keep ink flowing until I get in what I need. I did post what is needed for the jobs I have pending, but I didn't post a brand I thought might work. For the coroplast signs I was thinking of using oracal 3165 as that is my go to brand for non printed vinyl. These are going to be temp outdoor signs on a construction site. I haven't found a regular banner material that jumps out and says, "buy me" yet. On the mesh banner I was thinking of trying HeyTex Mesh w/Liner HEYtex Mesh w/ Liner. Has anyone used this one successfully?

Grafix - Thank you for your suggestions on your go to's. I will take a look at those. Does Avery have a laminate match like Oracal does?

Dale - Thanks for your input on banner material. According to Grimco’s website it looks like that banner material would work nicely for my purposes. Does this banner material still need to be finished? I didn't see anything on the site about hemming it. I've noticed that some materials have to be and others say that they don't need to be.

Ian - I appreciate your advice on cheap media. I had a feeling that cheap would curl and be problematic under the heat. What flag polyester did you use?

Grafix

Grafix - Thank you for your suggestions on your go to's. I will take a look at those. Does Avery have a laminate match like Oracal does?

Yes they do.
We also use Oracal 3651RA cos it prints nicely.

ikarasu

Hi, I have zero media at this moment. Media is expensive and I didn't want to purchase just anything. I wanted something that was going to help create a quality product. I have been running oracal 651 through it just to keep ink flowing until I get in what I need. I did post what is needed for the jobs I have pending, but I didn't post a brand I thought might work. For the coroplast signs I was thinking of using oracal 3165 as that is my go to brand for non printed vinyl. These are going to be temp outdoor signs on a construction site. I haven't found a regular banner material that jumps out and says, "buy me" yet. On the mesh banner I was thinking of trying HeyTex Mesh w/Liner HEYtex Mesh w/ Liner. Has anyone used this one successfully?

Dale - Thanks for your input on banner material. According to Grimco’s website it looks like that banner material would work nicely for my purposes. Does this banner material still need to be finished? I didn't see anything on the site about hemming it. I've noticed that some materials have to be and others say that they don't need to be.

Ian - I appreciate your advice on cheap media. I had a feeling that cheap would curl and be problematic under the heat. What flag polyester did you use?

Any media marketed for solvent should work in a latex. I've used $100 rolls, while.it does curl, it still works perfectly.

I'm not 100% sure on the l2550 older latex printers... But the newer latex printers at least, you don't need to keep the ink flowing .You can unplug it, plug it back in 6 months later and it'll work great.

Talk to BigfishDM he specializes in latex media. He has some pretty cool products, and his stuff is cheaper than the bigger brands like 3m, and perform just as well.

He's also very knowledgable, and isn't just looking for a sale, he'd rather be helpful than make a few bucks selling a product that won't work as good. He's recommended competitors products when he felt its suited the person's needs better than his own media.

His only shortfall is he's not out in Canada yet... Makes it hard for me to order his media!

VFT

Any media marketed for solvent should work in a latex. I've used $100 rolls, while.it does curl, it still works perfectly.

I'm not 100% sure on the l2550 older latex printers... But the newer latex printers at least, you don't need to keep the ink flowing .You can unplug it, plug it back in 6 months later and it'll work great.

Talk to BigfishDM he specializes in latex media. He has some pretty cool products, and his stuff is cheaper than the bigger brands like 3m, and perform just as well.

He's also very knowledgable, and isn't just looking for a sale, he'd rather be helpful than make a few bucks selling a product that won't work as good. He's recommended competitors products when he felt its suited the person's needs better than his own media.

His only shortfall is he's not out in Canada yet... Makes it hard for me to order his media!

Thanks, I think I'm over thinking this slightly. I'm nervous about buying the media as it is rather expensive for anything "quality." I just didn't want to end up having $300 door stoppers :) I think I have decided on the oracal 3651, Grimco's Forward Banner 13 oz and Ultraflex Strip Mesh Pro LTX. I looked at Key banner as I have seen that name thrown around a bit on other threads on this site, but it's only a 115' roll and I need 144 ft plus waste. I was also leaning towards HeyTex Mesh w/Liner, but I can't find anything on it from anyone that's actually used it. It's much less than most of the others I can find, but cheaper isn't always better.

If anyone thinks that something might be better suited, I'm all ears. This is a whole new ball game for me.