• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa F1612 barcode & onyx thrive 12

Split76

I used barcode for years with my s2 140t cutter and now i traded s2 to F.
I bought summa F support to onyx, it prints (hp 360) barcodes just like before but i'm stuggling with the rest :D
I got used to barcodes so i'm not going back to stoneage again..
I tried to read the manual, is it possible to do? If i understood correctly, i'll have to choose hotfolder where the files are.. and.. what?

last night I tried to resolve this but beer got the best out of me :p

Hotspur

F series barcode

Hi

Barcode use on the F1612 is a paid upgrade to your license key.

Then SummaFlex Pro will have the correct tabs & permissions enabled to handle the barcode cut files from Onyx.

kanini

When you print, can you choose Summa F-series as the cutting device? Then, you probably know how to get the cut file to a specific folder. When in SummaFlex Pro, just import the file as usual when using an eps, pdf etc. but select the barcode file from the specific folder and you're good to go.
If you have trouble getting the files made, check your settings in Onyx Cut server.

Hotspur

Onyx and Summa F Series are a good match

Is it that complicated to cut on a Summa F series from Onyx Thrive? Hoping to move to a 100% Onyx workflow for our Rolands and flatbed then add an F series cutter but might look into other options if it's difficult to do.

Not at all - remember this thread is about setting up an automated barcode system which needs a few extra steps (as it does in all of the cutter software packages)

For general every-day cutting the workflow is so automatic you don't even need to look at Onyx at all.
Once you are set up, the file is saved from Illustrator and sent to Onyx where everything can be done automatically - reg marks & barcodes are placed on the image and sent to print whilst a cut file is generated which will have all the F Series tools automatically attributed to the correct cut or crease lines in the file - this is then automatically cut to a folder where it is imported straight into the F Series software ready to go with all the tools correctly assigned to the various cut lines in the job.
None of these steps require user intervention unless you want to get in and change something.
It just needs the workflow to be set up initially so you have the right amount of automation you are comfortable with and off you go.

kanini

Basically you select Summa F-series as a cutting device when you print (this you have to do with all cutters), send the cut file from Onyx Thrive/Cut server (I think you can set this to do it automatically) and then import it to Summa Flex pro for cutting. Not a complicated workflow in my opinion. You can use a handheld barcode scanner at the Summa F if you want to read the barcode for the job and then you just read the barcode and the machine starts cutting.

Bly

I had issues setting up barcode reader for our new S2 - not sure if this is connected to your issue.
There was a problem in Win 10 where mapped drives weren't showing up in apps.
They were browsable through file explorer but not when trying to open them via apps "open" dialogue box.
This also affected barcode server for some reason.
So I had the RIP on one PC and the Summa cutters running off another one - when I did the fix all went smoothly.
Maybe if all else fails try it - it's a regedit hack - scroll down the bottom of the page to see it:
Network mapped drives not available on WIndows 10 TP - Microsoft Community

Split76

Not at all - remember this thread is about setting up an automated barcode system which needs a few extra steps (as it does in all of the cutter software packages)

For general every-day cutting the workflow is so automatic you don't even need to look at Onyx at all.
Once you are set up, the file is saved from Illustrator and sent to Onyx where everything can be done automatically - reg marks & barcodes are placed on the image and sent to print whilst a cut file is generated which will have all the F Series tools automatically attributed to the correct cut or crease lines in the file - this is then automatically cut to a folder where it is imported straight into the F Series software ready to go with all the tools correctly assigned to the various cut lines in the job.
None of these steps require user intervention unless you want to get in and change something.
It just needs the workflow to be set up initially so you have the right amount of automation you are comfortable with and off you go.

Yes!! you nailed it. Summa / Flatbed Series / F1612 - Barcode Option - YouTube here's what i'm after for..
Barcodes are the only way to go.
I know how to print cutting marks / barcode for F, and i know where the cutting lines go from cut server.
As seen on that video, no need for handheld barcode scanner. The thing i'm after is, how to use the F's camera to read the barcode. And how to set up the right hotfolder for that.
I want cutting to start "read barcode" and thats it.
And yes, i'm not stupid, i know the modules must have right setups to avoid expensive mistakes :)
Besides this, i amazed by it.. today i used cutout knife to cut 360 x printed A3 stickers. All i had to do is to drink coffee.
HP 360 prints when I'm sleeping and F cuts when I'm doing something else. I like it :)

Bly

Are you printing colour bars in the gutters?
That stopped barcode reading on my Summa cutter.

Split76

Are Onyx CutServer/Summa Barcode server all on the same PC?

yep. I'd like to know how the hell i command F to read the barcode with it's camera.
I've been too busy to sit down and try to find the solution by myself but seems odd that i'm the only one in this situation. So many F's out there :D