• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa OPOS tips

jayhawksigns

We have been long time, since 1996, Summa users. On our second cutter and have a DC4sx in house as well. For anyone who has owned one, you know what I mean when nothing else will do. The unfortunate thing for us it that we never had a tech/rep in house to show us all of the neat little tricks that you need to know to fully take advantage of your Summa, I just found out something today and I thought I would share it just in case it might help someone else. Add you little known secrets too if you have one.

Use the OPOS Barcode option
First, if you are cutting batches of stickers and have a rip solution that takes advantage of the OPOS Barcode option, literally stop right now and figure this out. This wasn't my revelation from today, but it saves so much time. If you are already using the XY option to print the extra alignment bar along the front edge of a print you won't be using any additional media, but having the cutter go through say a batch of 25 stickers, and then realign itself for another 25 basically makes it a click and forget workflow. No matter how good the Summa tracking is, I don't like doing a long run of intricate decals, it just will get off. Breaking it down into smaller groups that you run multiple copies of allows the plotter to basically reset itself on its own to keep its accuracy up over the length of the entire job. In case someone from Summa sees this, add this to your own software for printing though our DC4sx using ColorControl and then cutting after laminating in WinPlot.

Where you scan the OPOS Barcode makes a difference
This is my new little nugget. One of our customers usually orders a mixed size of decals on a single order. Each size is printed separately and sometimes the actual barcode doesn't end up in the same place on the print. Even though the cutter says to put the cutter below the barcode, putting it anywhere below the alignment line will give you the same result. So place it near the middle of the media rather then the right edge when you load the barcode and it will sense the next barcode in line, no matter how wide the next job is. When the cutter is running through OPOS jobs it kind of doesn't like it when it can't find the next barcode, this helps alleviate that issue.

Our Summas have been great, and I won't have another cutter in our shop. But they are capable of a lot and it sadly took me more then a few years to learn these two workflow practices.

RyanT

Director of Entropy
Thanks for the tips! Summa S160T here and I'm constantly fiddling with the menus to find all the things it can do.

TomK

Hey jayhawksigns, do you have more info on how to get this to work? I asked Summa support, they said call flexi. I called flexi, and they said "we don't support barcodes, if that feature is in rip & print, you need to get in touch with the cutter manufacturer" - like most things flexi, it is hit and miss depending on who you talk to. Trust me, if there was another option, I'd cancel all of my flexi subscriptions in an instant.

Thanks for any guidance you might have on this. We do a lot of short run jobs, and it would be nice to not have to align each one, and do it once and have summa do this for the entire run.

jayhawksigns

Anything you can share on this @jayhawksigns ?
Didn't see your other post, not sure which part of the process you need help with, OPOS barcode is on the cutter tab in RIP and Print, under Options once you select OPOS. Now when you load it to cut, you still have to send the jobs in the order that they are printed, which shouldn't be a problem since PM should have them in the same order that they were printed. Its not 100% automatic where the Summa will pull the correct cut job from the PM, but once you send all of the cut jobs, it will run one job after another.

And I just think Flexi has a thing for Summa anyway.

ProColorGraphics

I use caldera and love this option. I run full rolls of labels through with the barcode option almost everyday. It's nice to hit cut once, then have it run through a whole 150' roll on its own!

I tend to play around with my equipment and always trying to see what else they can do!

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

TomK

Didn't see your other post, not sure which part of the process you need help with, OPOS barcode is on the cutter tab in RIP and Print, under Options once you select OPOS. Now when you load it to cut, you still have to send the jobs in the order that they are printed, which shouldn't be a problem since PM should have them in the same order that they were printed. Its not 100% automatic where the Summa will pull the correct cut job from the PM, but once you send all of the cut jobs, it will run one job after another.

And I just think Flexi has a thing for Summa anyway.

Hey jayhawksigns do you have to run/enable the bar code server in the summa cut control software? Trying to get this working, and pulling my hair out.

jayhawksigns

This is just from my experience, and maybe someone else knows different, but I don't think you can barcode through Summa's own software. I have never seen a way to do it in SCC, thus it wouldn't be available in SWP. Kind of funny that one of the most powerful features of their plotter is only available to the user if they are using third party software.

Kind of makes sense I guess since you use Illustrator or CorelDraw to place the OPOS points and then its up to you to load that into SCC and SWP separately. But you would think that SWP could look for a file labeled X and if its not there to stop and give and error.

Hey jayhawksigns do you have to run/enable the bar code server in the summa cut control software? Trying to get this working, and pulling my hair out.

A little late to the party, but if you haven't got it working yet..

I've never used Flexi as a RIP software, but this is how it's done in Onyx. First you need to change the plotter Port settings from "Summa USB" to "Cut to folder". What that does is rather than sending the cut data directly to the plotter it writes it to a .plt file in a specified folder. Then you need to open Summa Cutter Control go to Barcode Server, point it to that same folder, and turn on the barcode server (it won't turn on unless there's film loaded). Once the Barcode Server is on and the job is loaded, go to the plotter and hit Actions>Load>OPOS Barcode, place the blade anywhere in front of the barcode and hit ok. It'll scan the barcode, search the folder for that file, then proceed to cut. Once it's done cutting that file it'll scan the next foot-or-so of vinyl for another barcode, if it finds one it'll proceed to scan, search the folder for the file, cut, then repeat. If it doesn't find one it'll throw up an error on the plotter screen saying it can't find the barcode and stop.

Like I said, this is for Onyx, but maybe it's more or less the same for Flexi and this helps some.

P.S. You can't cut from WinPlot if the Barcode Server is turned on, the program will just hang while trying to communicate with the plotter.