• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa Plot Issue

Ponto

Greetings and Salutations,....I'd appreciate any comments or advice on the inability of our D-140 to consistently plot small labels accurately over what would be a relatively short distance. Is it asking too much to contour cut a series of repeating labels over a distance of two feet (by the width of 54" roll stock)?

In the most recent event, .75” x 2” labels were printed in three blocks each
consisting of 357 repeats. After lamination, the first two blocks plotted
perfectly (using the opus registration marks from a Mimaki)….
while the third block resulted in misaligned cuts on approximately half of the
labels. Each block had their own set of opus marks and the pinch rollers were
not released and re-engaged since the first set has been set for the plot.
JP

MrSalumi

I have the same plotter but print with a Roland. No real difference though since the Opos marks should be the same. Two feet of repeats is not too much to ask.. Something is going on with your setup... I cut 1000 decals today over 8-9 feet with no issue.

The only thing that sounds wonky is that each block (which I assume you mean column) has its own set of Opos marks. Set everything up in a single file... I use Illy with the Summa plugin. Then ad Opos marks to the whole design.. Make sure your roll or sheet is set up straight and that the pinch rollers are all evenly spaced and secured. Then hit send and go to have a beer.

There is a reason these plotters are 8 grand new.. The are bullet proof when you get them firing on all cylinders.

FrankW

Perhaps the OPOS don't like that you name it OPUS ;) ?

Sometimes the condition of the pinch rollers influence the quality of the contour cuts.

Ponto

I have the same plotter but print with a Roland. No real difference though since the Opos marks should be the same. Two feet of repeats is not too much to ask.. Something is going on with your setup... I cut 1000 decals today over 8-9 feet with no issue.

The only thing that sounds wonky is that each block (which I assume you mean column) has its own set of Opos marks. Set everything up in a single file... I use Illy with the Summa plugin. Then ad Opos marks to the whole design.. Make sure your roll or sheet is set up straight and that the pinch rollers are all evenly spaced and secured. Then hit send and go to have a beer.

There is a reason these plotters are 8 grand new.. The are bullet proof when you get them firing on all cylinders.

Thanks,... and getting them to fire on all cylinders is the battle! I'm setting up the repeats in production manager and hesitate large numbers because of the alignment "issue". I'm also able to notice some gradual misalignment creeping when the cuts are compared from one side to the next. Do you recommend setting up the repeats in the application as opposed to production manager?

J Hill Designs

Attachments

• opus_art.jpg
    opus_art.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 72

MikeD

The only time I set up the layouts and manually place marks is if I need to rule out the RIP as the problem. Perhaps flashing the plotter with the latest firmware could help. Maybe a media calibration and an OPOS calibration?
Have you worked with this type of material in the past without issue?
Good Luck!

Ponto

Thanks for the responses, and as an update, I was able to have Suma USA Technical support respond with some comments and suggestions. All along I questioned the OPOS reliability since the internal plotter tests proved to be flawless. They suggest to manually set up the OPOS marks in an application ( they sent a link to WinPlot) as the reliability of using Flexi Production Manager maybe questionable and suspect.......I wonder how the good people at Flexi would respond to this............