• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S Class T160 - Blade pressure not adjusting!

JP4

I have tried adjusting knife pressure threw the cutting Control and the plotter control panel. The knife holder action works but does not respond to any increase or decrease in knife pressure. Only adjustment to the knife pressure is manually moving the knife holder. Any Ideas?

FrankW

How to you check that the plotter does not respond to any increase or decrease in knife pressure? If through a plot application: sometimes software override the settings in the plotter. So it could modify the settings in the plotter, but the value will default everytime to the setting in the software. Check if the set pressure is shown on the cutters control panel during a job is plotted.

AF

Also make sure that the correct knife is selected on the front panel and in the software you are using to generate your file.

If you do a knife pressure test on the front panel, you will see the effect of pressure difference. 75 grams is a starting point for cast vinyl, 150 grams for laminated calandered. Adjust from there and update your software. You can open the cut file in notepad and see what pressure is set in the file.

JP4

Good Info....I think I didn't have the blade pushed up in the holder firm enough....I'll do some more testing this afternoon. I'm also fighting with Winplot. Not a huge fan of this plug in so far. In Illustrator I select "Send to Winplot" and it tries to save the file and give a "Summa Script Error" "Cant make a copy of your current document!" Yet on some .ai files it sends no problem.

AF

You have to strip all security and UAC from Windows to get the script to work. Don't waste time with it and just save your AI file and open it in winplot directly.

JP4

I'm not at all impressed with the Cutter one bit. I have lots of experience on a graphtec and my Roland VSI. I have hours in trying to figure this thing out and still get odd cuts. Versaworks and Cutting Master 2 have been a breeze to operate and get to working. Just trying to get Winplot to installed was PIA and still only works sometimes. 2nd....I have tested and tested on getting the pressures correct on the knife and flexcut. Once I think I have it correct I send file and the pressure are not correct. WTF! Very frustrated with this whole process. Either need some training or put a 4 sale sign up.

Bly

Once you have the blade depth set correctly the pressure shouldn't be too critical as long as it's enough.
Around 120 for cast and anywhere around 180 for laminated calendared.
Use a 60 degree blade with the black nose piece for thick media.
Did you mean to say the pressure is changing?
One thing to watch out for is you can set the pressure at the cutter only to have the software override it when sending a job.

JP4

Once you have the blade depth set correctly the pressure shouldn't be too critical as long as it's enough.
Around 120 for cast and anywhere around 180 for laminated calendared.
Use a 60 degree blade with the black nose piece for thick media.
Did you mean to say the pressure is changing?
One thing to watch out for is you can set the pressure at the cutter only to have the software override it when sending a job.
How do know which is controlling your cut parameters....Cutter or the Software?

Bly

How do know which is controlling your cut parameters....Cutter or the Software?

There's a setting somewhere that stops any software paramaters overriding the cutter settings.
Can't remember where. Possibly in Cutter Control.

JP4

Honestly getting sick of dealing with this cutter. It has in no way has it lived up the endless praise about its dependability reputation. (Ai w/ winplot) Simply getting to the cutting control to link up with the plotter is a roll of the dice. Half the time it will not link up and the other half it takes minute to change setting. Summa says 6ft or less cable. Really!? So...my 8ft stretched across my desk is to long? Either way testing and getting knife pressure correct is a roll of the dice also. At times it will suddenly stop adding or subtracting pressure while testing. Then it will suddenly start working. I get it all tuned up and ready to go.....send job works good. Next job...it cut completely through the vinyl using WAY to much knife pressure. I'm at end of my rope. I have contacted Summa tech and they have been very helpful but these problems don't arises while I on the phone with them. I found good pressure on some Oracal cut vinyl the otherday....cut perfect....loaded a job up...and it cut completely threw the vinyl and backing paper. I have uploaded resent version of Cutting Control 5.5.10.0 and have spent several hours reading and testing.

Bly

We had a weird issue with our S2 where the cutting pressure would suddenly go insane.
It turned out to be the firmware we had installed.
Maybe check with Summa support.
As others advised me if the depth is set correctly it won't cut though but this was something else again.

JP4

Guys at Airmark have been very helpful. The Pressure issue was a simple fix. I had Flexcut turned "on" which made all cuts be flexcut going to the cutter. Turn off and everything seems to be working fine.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Guys at Airmark have been very helpful. The Pressure issue was a simple fix. I had Flexcut turned "on" which made all cuts be flexcut going to the cutter. Turn off and everything seems to be working fine.

Good to hear you are back up and running! Feel free to give me another call if there's anything I can do to help out.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

JP4

FlexCut Question. Is there a way I can cut the Flexcut in one solid cut instead of cutting in sections. I having misalignment cuts because its cuts in sections.

jerry369

FlexCut Question. Is there a way I can cut the Flexcut in one solid cut instead of cutting in sections. I having misalignment cuts because its cuts in sections.
It depends on the software you use to send cutting data to the plotter.