• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S160 T problems (axis errors, problems starting up).

Reio

Hello! Lately our S160T started giving (X and Y) axis errors when initializing the material, which ended in the X motor being replaced by the technician (Y motor on the way). The errors persisted however (including a random X-axis error) and now the cutter fails to start most of the time.

Sometimes we get a flickering screen at startup. Sometimes we get the Summa logo, then beep and it resets and starts over. Sometimes it eventually starts up and gives a Y-axis error right away.

We had the machine completely off and unplugged the weekend and it started up without a hitch on Monday and cut all the acumulated materials without a problem the whole day (thank the Summa-god for that), but today, again a Y-axis error right away and flickering screen at startup afterwards.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? We're loathe to have them replace the mainboard if it's more likely to be a power supply problem etc. It's clear to us the tech support is unable to ascertain where the actual problem lies.

Video of the latest start up: IMG_2710.MOV

Thanks for any ideas.

depps74

I bought a summa last year. The machine arrived defective. Could not cut o's and lopsided most of my letters. Also could not track past 3 feet without spooling material off the rollers. I got those axis errors too, but that was the least of my worries as it simply could not cut. Had to replace about 2 parts by myself because the tech support was useless. Their words were basically we don't know whats wrong. The machine was useless. I hate summa. All my 20 years cutting I used Graphtec but I was open to summa as I was convinced the summa was gonna save me time and money because of "tangential cutting", but turned out it is not. My little signwarehouse workhorse ran circles around that stupid looking machine. No love for summa whatsoever.

Reio

It did indeed turn out to be a bad power supply. We've had to switch out 4-5 PSUs in different devices this year - all of them (including the Summa) at around 10 years of age. :)