• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Summa S160 T Series: Dual Head?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You lose OPOS so it's not a good choice to go with the Dual head, unless you really need it.
And you need to exchange the complete head assy.

723534.png

Last edited:

GB2

Old Member
You lose OPOS, it's not a good choise unless you really need it.
And you need to exchange the complete head assy.

View attachment 152498
Why do you think the OPOS is not a good choice unless you really need it? What determines if you really need it? Also, from the looks of it, that dual head allows you to use both things at the same time but with the regular OPOS head you can still cut and pen plot, you just have to switch them out one at a time, is that correct?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Why do you think the OPOS is not a good choice unless you really need it? What determines if you really need it? Also, from the looks of it, that dual head allows you to use both things at the same time but with the regular OPOS head you can still cut and pen plot, you just have to switch them out one at a time, is that correct?
Sorry for the phrasing, let me try again.
You lose OPOS so it's not a good choice to go with the Dual head, unless you really need it.

So OPOS is the best choice unless you really need that dual head.
As you probably know, you can't do print and cut without OPOS.

And yes, with regular single head you need to do Two-step. First one thing, then change the tool and next thing.

Logan Powell

Wow, this forum is amazing. Thank you guys so much for your help!

I am trying to use the cutter to do fabric pattern cutting. I know it's a long shot, but I figured this is the only machine within my financial reach (used) that might be able to handle it. I wouldn't be doing much print -> cut registration. The reason I thought the dual head looked nice is because, for patterning, it would be nice to have each panel/pattern labeled to know where it goes in the overall construction (FYI - furniture).

Do they sell the head for the original S Class T Series somewhere?

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Logan,

I received your email and sent you a reply. I checked inventory and we do have the dual head assembly kits in stock if you wanted to go that route. Like others mentioned above and I did as well in my email, when you install the dual head you lose OPOS so you wouldn't be able to do any contour cutting with the cutter. So, if you plan on doing any print cut I would use the standard cutting head with OPOS and just change the tool from blade to pen if you need to do material marking. Tracking will be a challenge on the canvas like I mentioned in my email so keep that in mind. You can try to mitigate that by using a table on the front and rear of the cutter, but even doing that you may still run into some tracking challenges with the canvas.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112(office)
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com

Logan Powell

Hi Phil,

I have seen you in many of the threads I've read here. Great to meet you!

Thank you for the insight on what's feasible with the machine. I hadn't thought of putting tables in front/back of the machine, but I can give that a try too. I may have to resort to using the pen tool (not the dual head) to just draw patterns on the canvas and cutting the patterns out by hand. Do you think that would work?

Logan

Saturn

Aging Member
I think this could be a really great tool for cutting or marking out "paper" clothing patterns. I do no think it would handle actual fabric, at all...

GB2

Old Member
Logan, strangely enough, I happened to do a lot of pattern printing myself this morning and we just had a conversation about whether or not you could possible cut the patterns out on the plotter. Ours were printed on 20# Bond paper and I can't see any way possible that you could cut that on a plotter. You would need a flatbed plotter like a Summa F1612 to do something like that and I'm not even sure that it would work on that.

Logan Powell

Logan, strangely enough, I happened to do a lot of pattern printing myself this morning and we just had a conversation about whether or not you could possible cut the patterns out on the plotter. Ours were printed on 20# Bond paper and I can't see any way possible that you could cut that on a plotter. You would need a flatbed plotter like a Summa F1612 to do something like that and I'm not even sure that it would work on that.

Gary,

I think I've had some time to reconsider my approach. I believe I may try the pouncing tool and use graphite to transfer the patterns to canvas/fabric. What do you think? What approach do you use?

Logan

GB2

Old Member
For typical patterns to fabric, we will simply print the patterns, hand cut the patterns, pin them to fabric and hand cut the fabric. Depending on what it is we are doing, we will also print the fabric directly with the pattern and then hand cut it. A machine like the F1612 would be great because it could cut the patterns and cut the fabric.