• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Summa S2 T Series Cut-Through

Renato Pinto

Graphics Manager
Hey guys,

I have a summa plotter and it plots like a boss. The issue I've been having is flex cutting. The tangential blade flex cuts through cut vinyl just fine but when it comes to the thicker stuff, ie 3M Graphic Film 180, I can put it at its strongest force and it will not cut through. I want to be able to make contour-cut decals that I can just flick off. Right now, I'm having to do the contour cuts and weed the excess and ship decals with backing on them.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AF

New blade, different type of blade, new cutting strip would be a place to start. Slow down the speed. Set your file to contour cut the flex path first and then chase that with the flex cut. Use input/output tables. Some ideas for you.

FrankW

Do you set the knife to more depth too? More pressure wont help if the knife can‘t cut deep enough.

AF

Do you set the knife to more depth too? More pressure wont help if the knife can‘t cut deep enough.

Good one! The most obvious thing to do, becomes second nature and you forget you even test it. To the OP, you need to test your Flex Cut settings from the front panel. Make the knife project out too much to start and then back off a little once the pressures are correct for the media.