• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2 T series cutter with Caldera V10 and barcode workflow.

milchad

Can somebody please explain what driver I need to use as well as any specific cutter settings I need to setup on the cutter's control panel in order to use the barcode scanner to have an automated barcode workflow? I can print and cut a job with only reg marks, but as soon as I print the barcode and scan it, the cutter has no idea what to do with the info.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 2,673

ImagePress

We use Summa S2 Postnet with Caldera V9, but that is only half of the process. You also have to setup the Barcode Server in the Summa Cutter Control software that should have come with the cutter.

milchad

We use Summa S2 Postnet with Caldera V9, but that is only half of the process. You also have to setup the Barcode Server in the Summa Cutter Control software that should have come with the cutter.

I have the barcode server setup and when I scan the barcode it tells me that the part number is not found. (When it scans the code, it comes back with a number like "04933908322" and the type of file that Caldera generates is a .CUT file rather than a .PLT file). The barcode server is exactly what I want to do in order to keep things simple. Let me know what steps you took to interface Caldera with your barcode server and what type of files Caldera is generating for you.
Thank you!

Hotspur

I use Onyx where this works just fine - but the settings should be the same in Caldera.

Create a new folder on your desktop.

Check you have set the cutter in Caldera to 'cut to folder' rather than cut to file etc and point it to this new folder.

When you hit cut it should give you a PLT file in that folder (I set the rip to 'cut automatically' so every job immediately gets sent to this folder without you having to remember to hit cut every time)

Then run Summa Cutter Control and point the barcode server to the same folder.

It should just work seamlessly from hitting the 'print' button with no other input required until you start the barcode server and set the cutter to begin cutting using Summa Cutter Control.

edit - you are using the Summas OPOS system to read the barcode and not a handheld barcode scanner i presume?

When you are ready to cut place the cutter head just below the barcode and on hitting the cut button in the Summa software the Cutter will forward the media looking for the barcode - it will read it then select the appropriate file from its queue and cut the job - then forward the media up to 50cm looking for the next barcode and so on - it's all fully automatic including the barcode scanning process.

AF

I agree with the above explanation. Make sure your cut files are in the correct folder and make sure to point the barcode server to that same folder.

Note that the file name must match the number of the barcode or the process won't work. Sometimes the default rip settings append the cut file names which requires turning off which ever setting is doing it.

milchad

Thank you all for helping me with this. I do not see a "cut to file" option. Below is what Visual Cut looks like in Caldera V10:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,953

ImagePress

Its been a while since we set up our workflow so bear with me. Are you trying to cut directly from Caldera or are you using the software that came with the cutter? We found that if you run directly from Caldera, there is no need for the Barcode Server.

milchad

I figured it out with some help from Summa. What we needed to do is under Type, choose File and then under Host, put the location of the Summa Barcode Server. After that, click cut and a .dmp file is generated. Once the job was printed, all I had to do is start the barcode server in Summa Cutter Control, scan the barcode by choosing OPOS barcode on the cutter's display and we were off to the races.

milchad

Its been a while since we set up our workflow so bear with me. Are you trying to cut directly from Caldera or are you using the software that came with the cutter? We found that if you run directly from Caldera, there is no need for the Barcode Server.

Will Caldera read a barcode and cut the job automatically? If so, please explain how you were able to do this.