• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Summa S2 T140 Coil setting- head not touching media

XL

I just bought a used Summa S2 T140 and I am using Winplot to drive the cutter. I also have Onyx 12. My problem is that I get uneven cutting depth across the media. Sometimes the cuts are good on the left, and then cut all the way through on the right. I thought it might be the tape like others have mentioned, but the tape looks ok and I looked into some settings and noticed in the manual that the COIL settings should be set so that the head just touches the media, then backed off (3). The strange thing is that the head doesn't touch the media. It is a good 1/8" above the surface at its lowest setting. The way I was getting cutting results was to bring the blade out quite a ways, but I know it's not supposed to look like that. Does anyone have any idea if the tangential knife head is adjustable? Or if anyone else had this problem and found a solution? it may be a whole different problem, but the COIL is one thing I noticed right away.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 10.08.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 10.08.07 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 256
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 10.08.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 10.08.01 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 214
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 10.04.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 10.04.22 AM.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 213
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8463.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8463.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 202

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hello XL,

Which blade are you using currently? It looks like you are using the thick materials nose piece in the first picture above and it is important that you use the correct blade combination with that nose piece. If you are using the standard 36 degree blades then you will need to change your nose piece to the silver, or standard nose piece. Once you have ensured that you have the correct blade and nose piece combination in place I would do a factory reset on the cutter and then install the latest firmware revision(revision 22 should be the latest version). You can download the firmware update and installation instructions here - https://www.airmark.com/pages/s2-vinyl-cutter-downloads.

Feel free to email me at philj@airmark.com if you would like to pick my brain.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

XL

Thanks Phil,
I didn't think about that. The company I bought it from printed thick stickers, so that it very likely.
I appreciate your help. I will get the proper parts and try again.
David