• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2 T160 auto cutting leading edge

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
So I probably never explained it right in the subject, but recently (not every time) when I’m loading a new sheet into the summa, it’ll try cut a straight edge using the actual sheet cutter.

I’ve no idea why it does it intermittently, but basically I load a sheet, drop the rollers down, then every now and then (say 1 in 10) after it’s done it’s little jitter about process, it’ll just auto try cut a straight edge on the newly loaded sheet, which generally tends to end up going right through the barcode (typical).

anyone know why that’s happening (and happening intermittently) and how to turn it off?

FrankW

Depending on the position of the vinyl in the plotter, it cuts through the print, or not. I really do not understand the question. You can move the media by the arrow keys.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
No I mean I drop the lever to lower the rollers, then without me asking it to, the blade across the front cuts off (usually a couple inches) from the front of the sheet I’ve just loaded.

I drop the lever, it measures the sheet, does the jolting bit etc then just cuts a piece off of the sheet I’ve just loaded and then not touched the machine since I dropped the lever.

It doesn’t do this every time, maybe 1 in 10. I’m asking how to stop the apparent random cutting of parts of the sheets I’ve just loaded

jasonx

Try updating your firmware. We didn't have this issue but had another intermittent issue last year and updating the firmware and software on the PC fixed it. It just starting occurring out of nowhere as well.

Snydo

Not normal at all...if the firmware update doesn't work I would call Summa support and see if they have any ideas.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Firmware is up to date unfortunately, it’s just such an odd issue, fair enough if it cut the first couple inches or so off of a new roll (which would be odd anyway) but there’s been a few times it’s cut right through a barcode or taken my entire leading edge off.

Luckily enough we mostly do rolls of work so it only ever happens to sheet 1 when I first load the job but it’s not the first time I’ve noticed it happening and had to throw back the release lever and quickly save the job lol.

just wasn’t sure if there was a setting somewhere that I’d missed. ‘Intermittent leading edge cut’ lol

kanini

Check if this occurs after you,'ve cut a small sheet or short piece of vinyl. When we get this it is after you've cut a small job on a leftover piece of vinyl and the cutter has sensed that the vinyl is short or just enough for the job it just cut. Then it cuts a straight edge when loading up a new roll. Sorry for the bad explanation but I think it has something to do if you have used a, short piece and not loaded it as a sheet but as a roll. Then it does cut an extra time. To avoid this, leave some extra before and after the barcode.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We usually leave at least 2-3” at either end of the barcode. And at least 80mm between barcodes when doing them on a roll (in case anything goes wrong and we need to cut it off and use it as a sheet).

at least it’s not just happening to me so good to know there may be a way to turn it off!