• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Summa S2 T160 CutContour and Flexcut problem with adhesive

Mark Fackrell

I am having an issue with the blade depth on our Summa S2 T160. The job I am trying to setup would be CutContour and then FlexCut with about 1/4" of backer exposed around the sticker (after weeded). The problem I am having is when I set the blade depth to work with the CutContour I cannot get the FlexCut to cut all the way through (even at max pressure). OR if I set the blade depth to work well with the FlexCut, the knife will cut all the way through the material with the CutContour at zero pressure.
This is all happening using the "test cut" on the Summa interface. (no software interaction)
The adhesive material is 3 mil Gloss White Calendered Vinyl with a 90# liner (no laminate).

I'm hoping this is some kind of user error, and there is an easy fix.

We checked the blade and the roll mechanism to see if there was any gunk build up and it is clean.
The blade we are currently using is 45 degree.

Any help is appreciated... thanks!

AF

Full pressure is what cuts through the backer. Set your knife pressure and flex pressure to the same amount and make sure that the amount you use does not cut the liner.

For example:
Knife Pressure 75
Flex Pressure 75
Full Pressure 250

Blade must extend enough to cut through the liner.

AF

I believe you have to turn something off on the cutter as well like flex cut off or something close.

The rip can override the cutter panel settings. The front panel on the Summa can activate flex. I leave flex off on the cutter and let the rip activate it for the job using barcodes.

Mark Fackrell

Full pressure is what cuts through the backer. Set your knife pressure and flex pressure to the same amount and make sure that the amount you use does not cut the liner.

For example:
Knife Pressure 75
Flex Pressure 75
Full Pressure 250

Blade must extend enough to cut through the liner.
I tried using your example as a starting point and am still having the same problem.
Do I set the blade depth while testing in the flex menu first, then go to the knife and adjust pressure there?
If I start with the Flex menu and use your example values
Full Pressure 250
Flex Pressure 75
I set the blade depth and it cuts through perfectly.

But then when I go to the Knife settings and have it at 75 it cuts through...I even tried 0 pressure and still cuts through.

We have only had the Summa for a week and never got proper training from our vendor... so sorry if I say something stupid... we had an old mutoh plotter before this, so Flex cutting is new to our shop.

klingsdesigns

This is what mine is set at and I have flex cut disabled on the cutter. Not sure if this will help. But i just make sure I test the right force on cutter for each to see for contour cut(kiss) and also for flex cut.. Make sure knife is out enough for flex.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 352
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 296
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 293

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
I tried using your example as a starting point and am still having the same problem.
Do I set the blade depth while testing in the flex menu first, then go to the knife and adjust pressure there?
If I start with the Flex menu and use your example values
Full Pressure 250
Flex Pressure 75
I set the blade depth and it cuts through perfectly.

But then when I go to the Knife settings and have it at 75 it cuts through...I even tried 0 pressure and still cuts through.

We have only had the Summa for a week and never got proper training from our vendor... so sorry if I say something stupid... we had an old mutoh plotter before this, so Flex cutting is new to our shop.

As Klings mentioned, I would make sure that you have Flex Cut set to "off". If you are doing a knife pressure test and the blade is cutting all the way through at 75 grams then the cutter is likely set to flex cut everything. Also, I usually keep the pressure settings closer between the flex and full pressure in order to get the best cut quality possible when flex cutting. Something like a 75 gram difference usually does the trick. We(Airmark) offer tech support plans which include training on features like Flex Cutting so we can definitely help if your other vendor is unable to provide training. This tech support and training is also free with any Summa plotter you purchase from us so definitely keep us in mind in the future if you end up needing another machine.

Also, I have a Flex Cut setup document that has a few tips on it that I would be happy to send you if that would be helpful. Please send me an email to philj@airmark.com with your contact info and I can send that to you.

Best of luck with your new Summa!

Regards,

Phil Johnson
Sales Manager
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com