• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2 T160 cutting skewing

Gary1

I recently purchased a Summa S2 T160 1 month ago. Been very pleased so far. Today I had some striping to cut. It's an 8" wide stripe by 76" long with two 1.5" wide stripes one on each side of the 8" stripe. Stripes are printed with a 1/4" black pinstripe. Material is 3M IJ680CR and a gloss cast laminate. Laminate was done by precutting the laminate to length so there is no tension issues. I used the 60 degree blade for reflective. Speed 8 in/sec. Pressure at 160 grams. Loaded the material and lined it up. Vinyl skewing a little in machine. Length of vinyl is 48" wide by 80" long. I proceeded to cut. The cutter started at the right place, but when it got at the end of the first stripe it was nearly off 1/4". So I immediately shut it down. IJ680CR is stupid crazy $$$. Both end rollers were set to high. Inside dummy rollers evenly spaced out. I bought this machine figuring it was the best of the best and to replace my Mimaki CG130SRlll which was doing the same thing. I'm going to try to get it to run perfectly straight. Using OPOS XY with the line. Maybe the pressure is too high and causing the cutter to go off. I know going to slow can cause issues too. And not having the correct blade angle. A tech mentioned to slow down the acceleration. Need to read up on that as I don't see that in the colored panel on the cutter. Any tips or things I should be doing otherwise would be appreciated. I will do some dry runs using the pen so I can monitor the tracking. If it tracks straight with the pen but skews with the knife, then I'd assume the pressure is too high. Any thought s or suggestions is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Snydo

I run laminated(cast) reflective around 220 grams of pressure with a 60 degree so maybe your blade is a little deep and dragging causing skewing. At 80" long you need to make sure that sucker is straight.
Adding another pinch roller does wonders for feed consistency and is relatively easy to install, they are around $360 shipped, not cheap but well worth it if your cutting alot of premium vinyls. See "media select kit" on Airmarks site.

Jburns

Do everything you can to make feed easy in and out of the machine
Best - using a table on front and back of machine - never pull off the roll - take weight of hanging material out of equation

Saturn

Aging Member
Another vote for putting on a pinch roller in every slot that will touch the vinyl.

I die-cut all day with about 300g pressure on laminated 3 mil vinyl and things never get off more than a half a mm from beginning to end. This wouldn't have been remotely possible without extra rollers.

Gary1

I run laminated(cast) reflective around 220 grams of pressure with a 60 degree so maybe your blade is a little deep and dragging causing skewing. At 80" long you need to make sure that sucker is straight.
Adding another pinch roller does wonders for feed consistency and is relatively easy to install, they are around $360 shipped, not cheap but well worth it if your cutting alot of premium vinyls. See "media select kit" on Airmarks site.
Good
Good point on the media select kit. Yes they are pricey, but the cutter needs it to cut the heavy materials. Are these dummy pinch rollers or are they like the ones on the far left and far right that have two pressure settings?

Snydo

Are these dummy pinch rollers or are they like the ones on the far left and far right that have two pressure settings?
No pressure settings, same as the two middle rollers you have now but you will be amazed at how much better materials will feed.

AF

Sometimes the release liner has silicone on it and is prone to slip. In addition to adding feed tables, adding acouple of strips of high tack masking tape where the outer pinch rollers contact the release liner can make all the difference

Gary1

No pressure settings, same as the two middle rollers you have now but you will be amazed at how much better materials will feed.
Cutter pressure depth was 160g then brought it down to 140g to reduce drag. Acceleration was brought down to .5gs, velocity down to 8 in/sec. The 60 degree blade was also used and it's brand new.
The vinyl is also lined up in the machine to reduce any skewing due to the 80" length.

Gary1

Just my two cents here but if they help to cut reflective, why aren't they included? They provide a special 60 deg. blade because reflective is thicker, then spare pinch wheels should be included to help keep the heavier media running straight and true so it can be cut. I will figure this machine out. I ended up cutting my striping by hand. Took over an hour. Hopefully will be the last time.

Gary1

Another vote for putting on a pinch roller in every slot that will touch the vinyl.

I die-cut all day with about 300g pressure on laminated 3 mil vinyl and things never get off more than a half a mm from beginning to end. This wouldn't have been remotely possible without extra rollers.
To put a roller in each slot would come to $1800.00 I think I'll try it one roller at a time to see where it will run true.