• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Summa S2T160 not reckognizing regmarks on reflective material

Ranel

So the problem goes as the title says. If I print on vinyl it finds a opos marks and cuts but when using reflective material like avery 1500B, T2500, T6500 or similar the cutter won't find the regmarks. It doesn't matter if the material is laminated or not. The guys who sold us the cutter and set it up said that it should do the job.

Our setup is like this - we setup the print and cutlines in flexi and use production manager to send it to our Mutoh trafficjet with opos regmarks.

natallica

Graphics Guru
I've used Scotch tape over each printed OPOS mark...Pulled me out of the hole a few times. Just make sure it's centered in the tape or it screws up.

Hope this helps
-N8

Christian @ 2CT Media

You really should have purchased the camera version, with the standard reflective light sensor you will struggle with it. There is a yellow filter kit that you can get from summa that helps but it's not foolproof.

Ranel

Thank you guys for the ideas.

natallica Haven't tried the scotch tape trick yet - do you recommend using the one that is totally transparent or the one that has that white haze in it to reduce reflectiveness- I believe its called the "magic" one?

Got away at the moment by cutting 3x3cm squares and inside them 3x3mm squares from vinyl and taped over the regmarks so it sees regmark through the hole and vinyl around. Seems to work but obviously its not a convenient option in long run.

Christian @ 2CT Media yeah, we slowly figured out that for a problem free work its not good solution allthough the guys who sold us the cutter said thats it should work without problems. I'll check with them today about the camera option. They are also suggesting getting the F series but being 5 times price difference its kinda hard blow - my boss was mad as hell ;)

Gary1

So the problem goes as the title says. If I print on vinyl it finds a opos marks and cuts but when using reflective material like avery 1500B, T2500, T6500 or similar the cutter won't find the regmarks. It doesn't matter if the material is laminated or not. The guys who sold us the cutter and set it up said that it should do the job.

Our setup is like this - we setup the print and cutlines in flexi and use production manager to send it to our Mutoh trafficjet with opos regmarks.

Gary1

You just have to re calibrate the sensor for the material. I've used the scotch tape trick. It's a waste of time. Takes 5 secs. to re-calibrate the sensor. It's in the manual. Also, if you have any lights over the machine you can turn them off and let the censor's light do the correct calibartion and finding the crop marks.

Ranel

You just have to re calibrate the sensor for the material. I've used the scotch tape trick. It's a waste of time. Takes 5 secs. to re-calibrate the sensor. It's in the manual. Also, if you have any lights over the machine you can turn them off and let the censor's light do the correct calibartion and finding the crop marks.

Tried it but it doesn't work. Basically value on unprinted area (white) is pretty much the same as value on printed black area - after scanning it says on screen that it doesn't work. Tried scotch taping over the regmarks - it kinda works but at some marks I have to add like 2-3 layers so its bs. Only thing that works 100% is sticking vinyl pieces with little holes over the marks which is also bs.

Ranel

This is the same on all cutters without a camera... They just don't work reliably on reflective.

Does the one with opos camera work reliably? We were now offered a cam upgrade for 2 grand and we would probably take also pinch rollers media kit to add more rollers since with really thick material it tends to slip even with slow speeds. Ofcourse we were also offered a generous deal on F series and that would be ideal since we could do a through cut and save ourselves a lot of time.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Does the one with opos camera work reliably? We were now offered a cam upgrade for 2 grand and we would probably take also pinch rollers media kit to add more rollers since with really thick material it tends to slip even with slow speeds. Ofcourse we were also offered a generous deal on F series and that would be ideal since we could do a through cut and save ourselves a lot of time.
We use it off and on with no scan issues, but honestly switched to our flatbed as it's more reliable for cutting.

Goatshaver

I've run into the many times. Calibration of media is first, I haven't found any it won't calibrate yet. However it might still have a hard time reading and what I did was to have small strips I printed on clear vinyl with yellow only. These should be cut just wide enough to fit over the OPOS sensor. The yellow will help cut the reflection a bit and has worked great most of the time with a few hiccups here and there.

Attached a PDF showing you this.

Attachments

• OPOS Filter for Reflective.pdf
    794.1 KB · Views: 367