• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa Y Axis Error, PLEASE HELP

laswampgirl

My Summa S160T is throwing a Y-Axis Error Overflow when I'm trying to cut vinyl. When I slow the machine all the way down, I can get it to work, but when I set it back to it's normal speeds, it won't work. It seems as though the cut head is moving entirely way too fast when it's saying Y axis error. Can anyone help?

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good morning,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties with your Summa. This Y-Axis error could be caused by a variety of different factors and my best recommendation would be to contact our tech support team at (800)323-9766 to do some troubleshooting.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
That is likely because there are several potential causes of an axis error and it would be more efficient for us to properly evaluate the machine and make the correct recommendation rather than for you to purchase several parts that may not fix the problem. I would consider sending in the plotter because I do think it would be the quickest way to properly diagnose and fix the issue.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

Split76

I've had x or y overflow several times with my older S120D. It was always the motor. Took about 15-20 minutes to change by myself.

Dionysus

Y axis test

If you take off the right cover and see the main board, you can switch the Y and X encoder wires, (labeled) then start the cutter, if the issue moves to the X axis its the Main Board Bad. If it stays at the Y, it could be a motor. Check belts for fray and wear while in there.

Gluck

gnemmas

If you take off the right cover and see the main board, you can switch the Y and X encoder wires, (labeled) then start the cutter, if the issue moves to the X axis its the Main Board Bad. If it stays at the Y, it could be a motor. Check belts for fray and wear while in there.

Gluck

Better tech support here than Summa is willing to offer!!

Wondering why the tech support will not offer these diagnosis steps. I hope it is not for profit motivation.

It is so easy to say "bring the plotter in", and not considering for the customer the down time, the logistic etc.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
While I agree those are both logical suggestions, both or neither might actually be the cause. I am sure the OP will attest that our technicians likely suggested that this could be a motor issue, but the only way to know for sure is to evaluate the plotter. What we don't want to happen is for the user to swap a part that won't correct the issue and be out the money they spent on the part.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

laswampgirl

I swapped 2 of the motors and it stayed as a Y-axis error. It's strange because it will work at a slow speed, and cuts at normal speed for die-cuts. I'm avoiding at all costs shipping it because like someone else said, the down time. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.